Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Encrypting a Document

(!)

Member with 8,552 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
25-Jun-2012, 03:09 AM #1
Encrypting a Document
I have an MSWord document containing sensitive information stored on a flash drive. It is currently password protected; but, that protection is weak. I need to refer to the document several times a week and use it on computers where I am not at liberty to install software and that may also not have MSWord installed.

Is there an elegant system that will allow me access to the document yet keep it secure?

The information contained in the document does not necessarily have to stay in MSWord format.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jun-2012, 07:54 AM #2
When you say that you're not at liberty to install software, are you permitted to run software stored on the flash drive? If so, what about installing portable encryption software to the same flash drive?
Member with 10 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 10:13 AM #3
Smile Encrypting Flash drive with Safehouse
I've used a program called Safehouse as FREE encryption program for a thumb drive that I use at work. You tell it how much of the thumbdrive you want encrypted, it then makes a volume just that size. You then can drag and drop files to that volume which is encrypted and is password protected. You can still leave a portion of the thumb drive unencrypted or encrypt the entire thing. I can't install anything on our work computer but Safehouse works great on the thumb drive and protects your sensitive info if that thumb drive gets lost.

Hope that helps
Member with 8,552 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
27-Jun-2012, 08:01 PM #4
Quote:
When you say that you're not at liberty to install software, are you permitted to run software stored on the flash drive? If so, what about installing portable encryption software to the same flash drive?
I am accessing the files on the flash drive when using a client's computer. I am therefore not at liberty to install software so I need an decryption method that runs entirely from the flash drive and leaves no remnants of itself after the flash drive is removed.

Thanks RXman3286. I'll look into that.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!