Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Microsoft Outlook won't load in Windows 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 11:35 AM #1
Microsoft Outlook won't load in Windows 7
Using Laplink, PCMover, I migrated all of my files, apps, etc, from my old Dell laptop (windows XP Home Edition) to my new Toshiba Satellite L755-S5169 laptop, running on Windows 7. The transfer went fine, except, Microsoft Outlook would not open. At first, I got the following message:
"The add-in C:\Program Files (x86) Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe could not be installed"

I have also received the following messages:
When I open Microsoft Outlook (I don't use it for my email), I have gotten this message:
"This information service has not been configured. Select an existing file to configure or type the name of a new file to create." When I click "OK", I get a choice of *.pst in the file name box and PST file (*.pst) in the files or type window. No matter which file I choose, I get the message: "The file C:\Users\Barb\AppData\Local\microsoft\outlook\backup.pst is not compatible with this version of the Personal Folders information services. Contact your administrator."

I have also gotten the message: "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use".

"Outlook could not open the file containing the folders used to send and receive emails messages, create appointments, and open the address book. Please select form the options list below". The choices are to create a new personal folders file, or, to open an existing personal folders file. If I select cancel, Outlook shuts down. I am never able to to to "help" and the "Repair" feature listed there.

I cannot tell if all of my contacts are still there or not there. I have Office 2003 and Office 2000. The new computer, Windows 7, does not have Office 2010.

Please let me know what I should do. I'm hamstrung without my calendar and contacts. Thank you.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,079 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jul-2012, 01:23 PM #2
As for your PST file, make a new clean new one, and then import your old one, which should include your email, contacts, tasks and calendar.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 01:27 PM #3
I'm not very "with it" relative to the "how to's", but, how do I make a new PST file? Where do I find it? And, can I do this without Microsoft Outlook opening? It won't allow me to "import/export" because the program won't open. Sorry for being so pitiful, but, I'm not very schooled in these matters. Thanks for your time.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,079 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jul-2012, 01:36 PM #4
In your original post, you stated:

Quote:
"Outlook could not open the file containing the folders used to send and receive emails messages, create appointments, and open the address book. Please select form the options list below". The choices are to create a new personal folders file, or, to open an existing personal folders file.

Just select the option to make a new personal folder file (PST).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!