Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Outlook 7 on XP distribition lists disappear

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jul-2012, 09:52 AM #1
Outlook 7 on XP distribition lists disappear
I've been using several distribution lists for years with the same hardware and software. In recent months a few lists have stopped appearing in the address book. The first two to go stealthy still work--they pop up in the "to" field and have all their contents. The most recent one to vanish seems to be completely gone, though.

I cannot open the stealth lists to edit them, though. All I can do is click to display their contents in a message "to" field.

Other distribution lists continue to appear in the address book and work normally, as do all of my individual entries. I can't figure out what I could have done to the missing or quasi-missing ones.

Any ideas?

FriendDave
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,385 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jul-2012, 11:07 AM #2
Outlook 7 is a very old version, or do you mean 2007 (version 12)?
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 11:18 AM #3
OH, yeah--2007.
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2012, 07:30 PM #4
What is appearing is the address book area when in the contacts?

If not Contacts, then select Contacts from the drop drop down list.
Attached Thumbnails
Outlook 7 on XP distribition lists disappear-contacts-dl.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 10:28 AM #5
Distribution lists disappear
>>What is appearing is the address book area when in the contacts?

That's just it--whereas formerly these lists (and all of the others I've created) show up in the alpha address book by name, these missing lists do not show up anymore. I've tried searching for them using various fragments, thinking that the names might have been accidentally changed, but can't find anything.

As I said, in some cases when I enter the list name in a message "to" field I get an expandable name that shows all of the entries, but in the latest case that only gives me an error message saying the list cannot be found.

So, while I can still use one or two of the lists, I cannot open them to make changes to them, and of course I'm afraid that at any time they could vanish without warning.

David P. (FriendDave)
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2012, 04:19 PM #6
Do you have more than one Pst file open?
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 11:10 AM #7
PST file
Hi, Dave--no, I have only the one pst file. It's quite a basic setup, and I'm the only one who uses it.

I'm still using my other distribution lists, but the ones that vanished are the ones that will be the most work to recreate.

David
Computer Specs

10-Jul-2012, 11:13 AM #8
It might be that you are seeing the "Nickname" list and there is a drop down arrow to the right?

If so, then this is just the history of names you have used before.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 01:10 PM #9
Hmm. I'm not familiar with the "nickname" list.

What I look at is the Contacts list in one of its views--not "my contacts," but a folder with an icon of a business card on the title bar. So I see all of my contacts, whether individual or group. When I click on one of them it expands. When I click on the name of one of the distribution groups I see a list of all the members of the group, and can add or remove members.

There's no drop down arrow, but the distribution group entries show an icon that's supposed to look like two heads.

The distribution lists are just included in the alpha contacts listing. I had a "members" distribution list to which I send newsletters and various messages, and a "members overflow" list because I can only send to 100 recipients at a time; the overflow contains contacts 101 to whatever.

When I look at the contacts list now I see the overflow list and several other named groups, but the "members" list is just not there anymore.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
disappearing, distribution lists, outlook

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!