Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Security problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Jul-2012, 03:19 AM #1
Question Windows Security problem
Hi people, my problem is this:- I have a workbook in Excel 2003. In this wb is a hyperlink to a Yahoo site which downloads a csv file containing up to the minute dollar rates of exchange. Everything works fine. However, I also have the same wb saved as a .xlsm file, for users of Excel 2007, but when the hyperlink is selected, the wb "hangs" for 30 secs or more, then a "Windows Security" dialogue box appears asking for a password. After clicking about 4 or 5 times on the Ok button, a connection is eventually made, and the download is completed. Can anybody tell me how to stop this dialogue box appearing in the first place or, failing that, tell me what password is being asked for, as other people will be using this wb on their own pc. I have no administrator password entered on my pc and I do not have to log in. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and I have both versions of Office installed. This problem doesn't occur in Excel2003, only 2007. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, John.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,882 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 12:29 PM #2
Might try making this a trusted site. Newer versions of office try and protect you from running macros and such from non trusted sites. Downloading the file to local storage might be an easy test.
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 07:05 AM #3
Hi there draceplace, yes, your idea would probably work ok. The problem is, this wb is to be used on other computers by other people, so they would get the same message, even if I find a workaround on my pc.
I have attached a sample workbook (Book2) so that you can see the problem first hand. I have also tried to write code that, when the csv file has been downloaded, and the contents copied, the file is then closed or deleted. the reason for this is that, if an updated rate of exchange is needed later in the day, the download will not work if the first csv file still remains open, and thus the first rate of exchange could be mistaken for the update. Hope this helps to solve things.
Cheers, John (Teacherless)
Attached Files
File Type: xls Book2.xls (41.5 KB, 17 views)
Computer Specs
Member with 1,882 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 11:33 AM #4
You are correct, other people would have to change settings. I'm not a web developer so I can't offer a better solution. Maybe if the spreadsheet was an .xls or .xlsx instead of an xlxm if there are no needed macros

When you play with micro$oft you play by their rules.
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 11:58 AM #5
Hi draceplace, thanks for replying. As you can see, the wb that I have attached is an .xls file. There are 2 or 3 macros in it just to do the download that I am having problems with in the Excel 2007 version. In the full version there are 24 sheets just with the data bases on, another 3 user interface sheets, another which is shown if the user does not enable macros and another 2 which take the place of sheets 2 and 3 in the sample wb that I attached. There are many macros as they are needed to make the spreadsheet work. Again draceplace, thanks for applying your knowledge to my problem, I'll give it a little time, maybe someone will come up with a solution.
Cheers, sleep well, John
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!