Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help with Numbers on Replacing Values

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Jul-2012, 12:04 PM #1
Help with Numbers on Replacing Values
I have three columns in Numbers (Column H, J, and R). Columns R is an exact copy of Column H.
Every time a certain value appears in Column H, I need the corresponding value in Column R (but not Column H) in the same row to become negative.
Now, I have over 100k rows that I am working with, so manually changing seems to be out of the question.
How exactly can I do this?
Trusted Advisor with 3,995 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 12:17 PM #2
Hi Eraserboy, welcome to TSG.

You don't say what program you're using, but I assume Excel? If so, you can use an if formula. You don't say what value you need to find in column H, but I'll use 5 as the example. You'd put this formula in R1 and drag it down the rest of the column.

=IF(H1=5,-5,H1)

The formula says "if the value in H1 is 5, then make R1 = -5. If not, make it the same as H1". Replace the 5 and -5 with whatever value you need.

Hope that helps.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Jul-2012, 01:10 PM #3
Thanks for the Response Wendy.
I'm using the program Numbers on a Mac. I see what you're saying, but I don't want to change the value of the number in column R to the number in column H. I just want to make the value already in R negative if column H has a value of "SD" present. Would the same concept apply in this case? If so, could you please explain a bit more.
Trusted Advisor with 3,995 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 02:23 PM #4
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize Numbers was a program.

When you said that Column R was an exact copy of Column H, I assumed they had the same values. If the values are different, it's probably easiest to use a helper column. You can insert a column next to R and use:

=IF(H1="SD",-R1,R1)

Then you can hide Column R so that you only see the numbers in Column S. Does that make sense?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!