Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Updating Word from Excel

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jul-2012, 09:33 PM #1
Updating Word from Excel
We have an Excel spread sheet generated weekly with customer details (several types of rows with different info on each row).

I have a series of word documents that I need to keep updated from this spread sheet.

I can't use hyperlinks as the spread sheet changes.

Each customer will have multiple rows, with some common fields and some unique to the type of info on that row.

I need to make a document keyed by the customer number and displaying the data relevant to that customer.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to update the Word document on opening with the data from the latest spread sheet which will be overwritten every week ?
2. Can the word document use the customer number as a key to extract only the data for that customer?

In the example word doc, I need to be able to change the company name, address, authorised officer, contact person (could be more than one of each), the classes and status and the list of assessors and their details.

Any of this info can change from one spread sheet to another.
Attached Files
File Type: xls RTO Example.xls (48.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: docx 1 Training Solutions Pty Ltd.docx (21.6 KB, 39 views)
Computer Specs
Member with 1,882 posts.

18-Jul-2012, 08:30 AM #2
Hey Jughead welcome to TSG. One solution might be to use 'Mail Merge' and recreate these Word documents based on the Excel sheet. Mail Merge if I remember does want all the information on the same row.

The solution I would do ...Link or import spread sheet to Access and use the Reports. You really have a database and the sooner you treat it as such the easier this will be.

FYI - Don't put real email addresses in the documents you post here.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!