Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Formula Error in Excel 2007

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2012, 12:01 PM #1
Formula Error in Excel 2007
Salutations,

I'm working in Excel 2007 and am running into an annoying error. When I try and type in some data Excel interprets it as a formula and returns an error. For example, I want to type "4C" into a cell. Excel thinks that's supposed to be a formula and auto-correct says it should be "C4". The annoying part is that it won't let me type "4C" at all because the error message comes up everytime. For some reason this only happens in 1 sheet in the workbook. I can type "4C" in another sheet and then copy/paste it into the sheet I wanted. Any idea what's going on here?

Cheers!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,708 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 12:33 PM #2
Try typing an apostrophe ( ' ) before you type your text. Other options would be to go into settings and turn autocorrect for formula's off . Not using 2007 so I'm not sure of the exact settings in there.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2012, 12:39 PM #3
Yes. Using a leading apostrophe does work. But why do I need to do that when everything works fine in the other sheets in the worksheet. I guess that's my question. Why does this happen in one sheet and not in the others? And I did try changing the auto-correct settings but to no avail. I imagine there is some setting somewhere causing this, but I didn't create the workbook, so I don't know what it may be.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,708 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 12:45 PM #4
I feel your pain. (sometimes) Asking 'why' about a MS product can lead you on a useless time consuming journey. Sometimes just finding a work around then get on with your life is the best solution.

Hopefully someone will have a better answer...but don't hold your breath while waiting.
Member with 495 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 08:34 PM #5
Possibilities abound. Iwould Save as a new workbook. Click the cells button (left of A and above 1) to highlgt the entire sheet. copy it, open a new worksheet(same workbook) pate it - see what you get then. If all is OK - you have the malfunctioning workbook to look at when you can, and the new one to get on with business.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!