Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Where to start access database creation

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 09:46 AM #1
Where to start access database creation
I have a small business and clients come in based on a category that is assigned to them, usually they are placed into one or more groups which are then randomly selected.

It was suggested to me that an access database might be a good thing for me to better organize my clients.

An example of what I have and what I need.

I have groups 1 through group 10 (not really, but it works).

Clients are assigned to one or multiple groups.

When the assigned group is selected (randomly) they are allowed services depending.

I would like to easily be able to input the clients and assign them their groups. When I put a group number(s) on a day, I would like all people assigned that group number(s) to be shown on a main page where it show what they are getting that day (or multiples if 2 or more groups they are assigned to come up) and they can be checked off once they have shown up.

I am pretty knowledgeable about computer hardware, decent with programming and language and have never used access before so any and all help is appreciated!!
OBP OBP is offline OBP is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 18,566 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 11:35 AM #2
Access can do this, but I am not sure how you currently handle selecting groups Randomly.
You will need a minimum of 3 tables, Clients, Groups and ClientGroups, the last being a Many to Many Linking table.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 02:12 PM #3
The randomness is not an issue. That is done by me at the beginning of the month with a random number generator. What I would like is that I can put in group #4 and group #7 for tomorrow(Aug. 7 2012) and it will pull up all member of that group. I look at some of the templates, but even then i'm not sure which one would be a good place for me to start.
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2012, 02:33 PM #4
I never use templates, I build them from scratch.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 04:17 PM #5
How hard is starting from scratch going to be for someone without any access experience?
Computer Specs

07-Aug-2012, 05:59 AM #6
With our help on here it should be quite straight forward.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 11:01 AM #7
OK, I will start with figuring out how to put 3 tables into a database and will post updates as I go (or don't). I appreciate the help!!
Computer Specs

07-Aug-2012, 11:35 AM #8
First of all find out what data you need in the tables, creating the tables is quite easy.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:32 AM #9
Clients: I'm assuming what you are referring to here is the clients name?!? What we have now, plus additional clients as they are added

Groups: Aqua, Black, Blue, Blueviolet, Brown, coral, dark blue, fuchsia, gold, grey, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, orange, purple, red, sienna, silver, teal and there is a group for each letter A through Z.

I'm not sure what a ClientGroups table would hold (i'm actually not sure if I gave you what you wanted for the other tables either)
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2012, 10:06 AM #10
The ClientGroups table would contain the ClientID and the GroupID as a minimum, in that way you can have as many clients with as many groups as you like.
The table can contain other data if you like, quantity or a date etc.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 08:09 AM #11
I'm currently watching how to videos on you tube...literally the first time I had used access was about a week ago. I see how to create the table(s) and add fields, i'm just unsure of what to add and if order is important at this point.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 08:40 AM #12
I started a file and uploaded it to skydrive .
Computer Specs

13-Aug-2012, 10:49 AM #13
I have attached the database with 3 tables in it as described post #10. There is also query showing how to bring together the data for display purposes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Database1.accdb.zip (31.2 KB, 7 views)
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 08:06 AM #14
OK, so with that if a client were to be part of multiple groups...
Instead of creating a new line for each group like you did in the example, can those be done in one line. Either on a separate table or by adding a column for each group (and checking box?) or by putting multiple entries into the group id?

It looks like the groupID is (automatically?) assigned from the group and the clientID is from the ClientName. How did you do that or were they just manually entered for this example?
Computer Specs

14-Aug-2012, 08:16 AM #15
The design is the standard way to create many records per person as it is very flexible.
The records were directly entered in to the table to illustrate how it works, normally the data would be entered in a form by selecting the Client and then selecting the groups they belong to.
You can use other methods of storage, but they usually lead to problems analysing the data later, but it is your database.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!