Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Scan directly to Outlook 2003

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 04:32 PM #1
Solved: Scan directly to Outlook 2003
I'm finally getting rid of a loose leaf address book and wonder whether is a program or method to enable me to scan the listings directly into my Contacts in Outlook 2003. Any thought on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Running Win XP -Pro / Sp3 & MS Office 2003.
Member with 142 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 02:10 AM #2
Check for the software that comes along with your scanner. It should have an option to read business cards and save them or sync to Outlook. Most card scanners (hardware) have that facility.

Even some mobile phones have the option to capture the business card and save as Contacts.

If you have a regular flatbed scanner then scan the sheets and use a business card scanner software to import to Outlook. If your address book sheet is not in business card format, then best way is to scan it and use OCR option in your scanner software and manually copy/paste the text into Outlook Contacts.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
19-Aug-2012, 04:09 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmgy View Post
and manually copy/paste the text into Outlook Contacts.
There is no text in scanned documents that can be copied or pasted. It is an image.

OCR software is the only possibility, and not a very sure one, either. You may end up wasting a lot of time and then typing them in manually, anyway.
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 11:12 AM #4
Thanks all for the help. I should have realized that the scan is a image file and that there is no text in it. Can anyone suggest a low priced OCR program that could help with this project? (I do have an HP all in one but it did not come with OCR software.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,137 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Aug-2012, 11:55 AM #5
Look at the software that came with your scanner, ALL of them provide a OCR program.

As for a free one, just do a google on "Free OCR" and see what hits you get.

BUT, when it comes to OCR programs you get what you pay for. I use OmniPage which is NOT cheap.
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 12:12 PM #6
I'm thinking that it will probably be easier to bite the bullet and just type in the information. Thanks once again for the replies and help.
Member with 142 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 04:02 AM #7
Hi robpopper, Here is great news for you. You can do OCR using Google Docs. Here is how...
http://support.google.com/docs/bin/a...answer=1250387
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 06:35 PM #8
bkmgy, I didn't see a listing for the software to convert from a jpg file. Am I missing something?
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 06:37 PM #9
whoops, looking at it closer it does accept a psd file. I will try it. Thanks for the heads up.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,137 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Aug-2012, 06:43 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robpopper View Post
bkmgy, I didn't see a listing for the software to convert from a jpg file. Am I missing something?
From the lionk above
Quote:
In the "Upload settings" dialog, you can select from these options:
•Convert documents, presentations, spreadsheets and drawings to the corresponding Google Docs format.
◦Select this option to convert all of your files from their existing format, like an Open Office document, into an editable online version in Google Docs. If you don't select this option, this document will appear as a view-only document in the Google Docs Viewer.
•Convert text from PDF or image files to Google Docs documents.
◦Select this option to convert image files into a collaborative online version in Google Docs by using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!