Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lost Word Doc Default margins

(!)

Member with 105 posts.

13-Oct-2004, 03:44 PM #1
Lost Word Doc Default margins
My Microsoft (office prof 2003) word now opens up with no top or bottom margin although the right and left still are present any idea how I reset the ‘default word page to open as it used to
If I open up File, Page set up, Margins it gives the top and bottom margins as 2.54 cm and it appears as though i have margins on print preview. if I print out I have margins but they don’t appear on my monitor view of Doc 1 or on any templates
Any thoughts
MB flowers
uk
Member with 49,015 posts.

13-Oct-2004, 04:01 PM #2
Open normal.dot fix it how you want it and save - make sure you are saving a template
Computer Specs
Member with 5,434 posts.

Experience: I'ma learnin'!
13-Oct-2004, 04:12 PM #3
An easier fix may be to do a (windows) search for normal.dot (w/ Word closed), rename it to normal.dot.old (or any other extension than .dot), open Word and a new one will be created.
Member with 49,015 posts.

13-Oct-2004, 04:16 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefytr
An easier fix may be to do a (windows) search for normal.dot (w/ Word closed), rename it to normal.dot.old (or any other extension than .dot), open Word and a new one will be created.
True unless he has made other changes to normal and getting rid of it loses the changes.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,434 posts.

13-Oct-2004, 04:18 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFDnSC
True unless he has made other changes to normal and getting rid of it loses the changes.
Good point. I should have been more thorough. Here is a good write up about it ...

http://www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm#NormalDot
Member with 105 posts.

13-Oct-2004, 06:10 PM #6
Sorted
Many Thanks
Flowers
jonny p jonny p is offline jonny p has a Profile Picture
Member with 334 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jan-2008, 03:07 PM #7
I have acquired exactly the same problem on my work rig. I also tried modifying 'normal' dot but when I tabbed down until I had the correct top margin spacing in 'print' view, in print 'preview' I had a top margin twice as as big as it should be and when printing the top margin was also too big. So today I deleted normal dot in the hope that it would reset the margins , but it didnt- the problem was exactly as before.

So how can it be that in 'print' view you have no top margin but in print 'preview' there it is , large as life?

Also the top margin adjustment tool has vanished and won't come back even when I hover the mouse cursor over the area where you would expect it , just below the left tab indicator- I can only set up the margins by tabbing and pressing the return key at the end of each line.

Any way forward please? Thanks
(Using Word 2003)
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
07-Jan-2008, 03:10 PM #8
You are probably hiding your whitespace within your "Print Layout" view. Click on the top border above your first page when you see double-headed arrows. It will say "show White Space" when you are in the right spot. You can also try adjusting your header and footer location as well from the "Page Setup" dialog box and the "layout tab" within that.
jonny p jonny p is offline jonny p has a Profile Picture
Member with 334 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jan-2008, 04:38 PM #9
jimr 381- thats it ....fantastic! I knew it had to be somethin' simple!
Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

07-Jan-2008, 04:47 PM #10
Not a problem. Please mark the thread as solved via the "thread tools" drop-down list at the top of the post.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,434 posts.

07-Jan-2008, 06:18 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr381 View Post
Not a problem. Please mark the thread as solved via the "thread tools" drop-down list at the top of the post.
They can't, seeing as how they hijacked the thread and it is not originally theirs. But as it stands, the thread has good solutions to it.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

09-Jan-2008, 11:34 AM #12
Whoops I was just testing everyone of course. **wink wink nudge nudge** Well flowers if this has fixed your issue please mark the thread as solved.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!