Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Cannot open .RTF (Rich Text File)

(!)

Senior Member with 115 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Jun-2005, 03:00 PM #1
Solved: Cannot open .RTF (Rich Text File) in OUTLOOK
I have a .rtf from a customer whom I deal with on a daily basis which I cannot open. The error from OUTLOOK reads:
"Can't create file: Commercial Invoice.rtf. Right-click the folder
you want to create the file in, and then click Porperties on the
shortcut menu to check your permissions for folder."
1. I could open the same email on coworker's computer

2. from my computer I email the same file to yahoo and it opens.

3. emailed the same file to a different computer and it opens.

4. I had a coworker email me a .rtf file to Outlook and that opens.

5.. I've tried checking the properties of my destination folder (My Documents) and I don't see a "permission" tab or selection. Please help.

Thank you in advance
-jdaries-

Last edited by jdaries; 16-Jun-2005 at 03:24 PM..
Member with 148 posts.

Experience: A+ and Network+ Certified
16-Jun-2005, 03:31 PM #2
can't open rtf file
Off hand I don't believe it's a permission on your computer so much as it is a permission with Outlook. You may want to mention this to your IT team at your job or the system administrator. Outlook can be set on the server end to block particular types of files (like rtf files) or to restrict access to which files you can open and what you can do with them.

When you said you opened it on a co-worker's computer, was this under your account (i.e. you logged onto his computer with *your* account) or was it opened via his email account and under his login name?

The fact that you were able to get it open on your computer if you used your yahoo account suggests it's not a permission set on your particular computer. If it was, you wouldn't be able to save it via Yahoo either.

My recommendation is to talk to whomever manages your company's email accounts to see what permissions are set up on your account. Hopefully that fixes it. If not, let me know.

Thanks,

JFresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaries
I have a .rtf from a customer whom I deal with on a daily basis which I cannot open. The error from OUTLOOK reads:
"Can't create file: Commercial Invoice.rtf. Right-click the folder
you want to create the file in, and then click Porperties on the
shortcut menu to check your permissions for folder."
I could open the same email on coworker's computer, from my computer I email the same file to yahoo and it opens, and emailed the same file to a different computer and it opens. I've tried checking the properties of my destination folder (My Documents) and I don't see a "permission" tab or selection. Please help.

Thank you in advance
-jdaries-
Senior Member with 115 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Jun-2005, 10:48 AM #3
Hey Jfresh,

The problem fixed itself; IT guys said that they dont put restrictions cuz lots of cliets send .rtf files and etc., but now its working this morning. It may have been on the other end. Thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!