Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Freeware Access like program?

(!)

smooth smooth is offline   smooth has a birthday soon! smooth has a Profile Picture
Member with 4,014 posts.

Experience: Learning everyday :)
30-Sep-2005, 01:06 PM #1
Freeware Access like program?
Hello again,

I have downloaded OpenOffice, and love it, however, there is now equivalent to Access in the package. Are there any freeware programs that give the same functionality as access? As well as ones that will be able to read/save as access type files?
smooth smooth is offline   smooth has a birthday soon! smooth has a Profile Picture
Member with 4,014 posts.

03-Oct-2005, 08:36 AM #2
bump

Anyone know of any program like this?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
03-Oct-2005, 11:39 AM #3
You say "there is now equivalent to Access in the package" yet from the rest of your remark I am assuming you are looking for a free database software. Well, go back to Open Office and download the most recent version with their "Base" component, which is a database program. Enjoy!
http://www.openoffice.org/product2/base.html
Member with 4,014 posts.

03-Oct-2005, 02:49 PM #4
Thanks
Thanks for the reply. The OpenOffice Base component is really nice. My problem now is that I can't open up the database that I already have in it. It gives me an error message saying that the connection to the database cannot be established.

Is it because the coding in access is not able to be one in openoffice? Is the base component in openoffice going to be able to do the same thing as access is in functionality, as in creating buttons that have script to them?
Member with 4,014 posts.

05-Oct-2005, 04:20 PM #5
bump

Any ideas why I can't open access files with openoffice base?
Member with 8,268 posts.

Experience: I bent my wookie :(
05-Oct-2005, 05:14 PM #6
Haven't used OpenOffice for quite a while -- try this link.

HTH,
Andy
Member with 4,014 posts.

06-Oct-2005, 09:50 AM #7
Question Thanks
Thanks for the FAQ.

However, it didn't really help. I go through the steps, creating a ODBC for the database. Then do what it says within OpenOffice 1.15.

I couldn't do what the FAQ says to do when using OpenOffice 2. It doesn't have the menu item that it references. Says to go to Tool --> Data Sources. OpenOffice 2 does not have this menu option.

Any ideas on how to get this Microsoft Access 2003 database to work in OpenOffice?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!