Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Office 2003 creating/leaving tmp files behind.

(!)

Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Nov-2005, 10:47 AM #1
Question Solved: Office 2003 creating/leaving tmp files behind.
BASE:

WinXP SP2 and all current updates.
Office 2003 also with all current updates.
AVG also current.

When the user saves an Excel or Word file it creates another file in the same directory that starts with that files full name plus ~RF######.tmp, where # is some random digit mostly but occasionally letters.

Example:

ABC.xls
ABC.xls~RF98ce38.tmp

They say this just started a couple of weeks ago. So far the *.tmp files have been the same size as the real file.

How do we prevent this so we don't have to keep manually deleting *.tmp files other than the usual %temp% directory ones?

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,731 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Nov-2005, 12:36 PM #2
Is the user OPENING the file from an attachment first?
And are you saying that the tmp file does not go away after the user closes Outlook and Word or Excel?
Member with 54 posts.

01-Nov-2005, 01:06 PM #3
Outlook is not even involved. (Lotus Notes/Domino organization).

They are opening existing files and/or creating new files then saving them to MY DOCUMENTS/... and the *.tmp file gets created.
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2005, 01:08 PM #4
Repeat w/edit:

And are you saying that the tmp file does not go away after the user closes Notus Lotes and Word or Excel?
Member with 54 posts.

01-Nov-2005, 01:34 PM #5
A) Email (of any kind) is not involved in this problem

B) Yes, the *.tmp stays around after Word or Excel is closed. It also only gets created when the true file gets saved (or SAVE AS).
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2005, 01:43 PM #6
Sorry, rvicker. I think I read your original question title as Outlook 2003 creating... sorry about that! Doh!

Okay, so B. I hate to keep interrogating, but... does this occur on a hard drive or a network drive?

Of course, creating temp files is expected--Windows does this. Leaving them behind after an application has appropriately closed is not normal. I assume the applications are closing properly? I assume the user has appropriate rights to these locations?
Member with 54 posts.

01-Nov-2005, 11:02 PM #7
Now you have it

Local drive (My Documents/...) so they have full rights.

Except for the *.tmp files everything seems to run/close normally.

Note that these *.tmp files are created in the same folder as the good file (not the %temp% folder) and these are not the ~w****.tmp files that you normally see while a document is open. They have the good file name as the first part of the *.tmp file name and are only created at the time the user saves the good file. While the file is open these *.tmp files have not yet been created and if they don't "Save" or "Save As" they don't get created.
Member with 40 posts.

14-Nov-2005, 07:37 AM #8
The exact same problem has just started on my work PC - very odd. Did you ever get it resolved?
Member with 54 posts.

14-Nov-2005, 10:49 PM #9
Nope.

Dreamboat was out in left field from the beginning and now it looks like noone else knowledgable is looking here because they see that there are replies even though there is no solution.

Been thinking about starting a new thread just to see if another expert will pickup on it.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

28-Nov-2005, 04:46 PM #10
Have the same problem with Word, but Excel just creates random file name with no extension. This only happens on network drives all users are not affected.

To stop the creation of random files give the users modify access to the directory.

There got to be a better fix.
Member with 40 posts.

07-Dec-2005, 09:19 AM #11
Well after 4 unsucessful hours on the phone with MS I finally sorted it whilst on hold. The problem appears to be something within the AVG resident shield as if I tunr it off then all works fine. I haven't dug down any deeper than this so far but thought I'd let you know.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!