Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Microsoft WORD won't open for me without freezing.

(!)

Member with 6,375 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Dec-2005, 06:37 PM #1
Solved: Microsoft WORD won't open for me without freezing.
For some reason my Microsoft WORD isn't opening up.. When I click the icon the programs starts to open (by that I mean the 4"x4" square logo shows up) and then it stops there before opening up the whole page. Then It freezes up and I am unable to do anything else. I went to my documents and clicked a document there and the same thing happened. This is what I've done so far:
1. I did system restore and nothing was fixed.
2. I deleted WORD and Works and then reinstalled them. Still, nothing was fixed.
3. I deleted all "normal.dot" hidden files (I read about sweets problem with WORD and tried that). After trying that, WORD opened, but I was unable to open a document because it said at the bottom of the page "requesting virus scan". It goes no further than that.

I think the problem started after I downloaded a calendar template from the last Windows Office update newsletter.
Member with 17,584 posts.

18-Dec-2005, 08:47 PM #2
What anti-virus program do you have?

Its possible that the add-in is causing the problems.
Member with 6,375 posts.

18-Dec-2005, 09:19 PM #3
kiwiguy....I have Norton "Internet Security". I guess its possible that the ad-in is causing the problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Dec-2005, 12:19 PM #4
There is a setting in Norton where you have a choice of scanning all Office documents or not. You DEFINITELY don't want Norton to be scanning all Office documents. I have Norton SystemWorks, and in that program you click on Options, NAV, Other/Misc. The heading reads: "How to keep Microsoft Office documents protected" and underneath it has a box next to "Enable Office Plug-ins". Make sure that box is NOT checked, because it creates more problems (not to mention slowing down Office programs) than it fixes.
Member with 6,375 posts.

22-Dec-2005, 09:02 PM #5
I've been out of town for a few days, but before I left, I ran a full system Norton virus scan and now WORD opens just fine. I opened and closed it several times using different documents. So, I'll marked this thread "SOLVED".
Junior Member with 2 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 11:29 PM #6
I'm having the exact same problem except that I cannot run a full scan with Norton. Each time I click on the run scan button it acts like it's going to scan and then does nothing. Do you know why that is? Also how can I fix my microsoft word problem?

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 11:53 PM #7
You might go online and get a free virus scan at House Call. Did you check to be sure that Norton is NOT automatically scanning your documents in Word?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

16-Sep-2007, 06:24 PM #8
Thumbs up word 2007 freeze at virus scan of documents
I encountered the same problem as some of you are mentioning. I believe it was because I was messing around my Msconfig settings and happened to turn off something that I shouldn't have. If you are still experiencing problems then try looking there to make sure something hasn't been turned off that shouldn't have. It involved my Symantec virus protection I believe because I turned off most of it's components under my services section but somehow it still controls some other functions in other programs. I hope this helps.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!