Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Outlook - can send but not receive email

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Feb-2006, 01:48 PM #1
Unhappy Outlook - can send but not receive email
Using Outlook (not Express). Can send e-mail Ok, but cannot receive - instead get an error message. All account settings are correct for my ISP. Using Windows XP and Office 2003 SP1.

Issue started after I added a new hard drive, then made the new drive the boot drive and the other one the slave. Now, I get this email problem and others:
- Windows Installer box pops up when I open any Office 2003 programs. Says "preparing install..." then gives a message that I should run Setup and then select Repair.

- tried removing Office with add/remove programs and after the Windows installer box pops up with "preparing to remove...", this message appears "This patch package could not be opened..."

- tried to reinstall Office from disc and it would not work - same errors as above.

- tried to delete a separate file and is said the recycle bin was corrupted

Can someone please help?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,731 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Feb-2006, 05:26 PM #2
I would manually remove, then reinstall.
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/r...om_your_pc.htm

Can't help about the recycle bin. Sorry.

10-Feb-2006, 06:08 PM #3
Unfortunately still a problem. I followed the uninstall procedure described in the link and updated the registry as required. When running setup.exe, a Windows Installer box pops up, then after a minute or so a new box appears saying "This patch package could not be opened ...".

Perhaps a dumb question, but could the issue be that I have the original Office 2003 still on my former boot drive which is now the slave drive?

Thanks!

10-Feb-2006, 06:38 PM #4
Problem solved. Here's the link to the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295823/en-us This installs the Windows Installer CleanUp utility which did the trick and let me reinstall from the disk.

Thanks!

11-Feb-2006, 12:26 AM #5
Here is what finally worked for me for Outlook 2000.

I went into safe mode and ran the inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe) on my pst file. Then moved it to a separate folder. Then started Outlook and it established a new personal folder. Then imported from the repaired file. Wish I would have figured this out two days ago.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!