Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Pixel size of a single A4 Word Document

(!)

Member with 117 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Mar-2006, 11:23 AM #1
Pixel size of a single A4 Word Document
should be a simple one this....

does anyone know the pixel size of a single A4 word document please?

the reason being is I am going to create a couple of brochures and converting them to pdf but the program that I know how to use well is Maromedia Fireworks, so I'd like to stick to what I'm good at. From fireworks I am wanting to convert the file to pdf if that makes sense. But I need to know the pixel size of an A4 document so I can start to create the brochures.

thanks in advance!
Member with 17,584 posts.

06-Mar-2006, 03:43 PM #2
There is no answer to that question.

Or, many answers.

It has a defined display size, which is totally dependent on your screen resolution.

It has a printed pixel resolution which is totally dependent on your printer resolution and its settings.

But the document itself has no actual parameters regarding pixels except as above.

When converting to PDF you should be able to specify the dpi (dots per inch) and multiplying by the document size will give a pixel (dot) count, but that is entirely dependent on the PDF creation software and its settings, not the originating A4 document.
Chris_E Chris_E is offline Chris_E has a Profile Picture
Member with 360 posts.

Experience: I have no idea what I don't know - how could I?
14-Mar-2006, 08:10 PM #3
Hi SmallPaul

Using Adobe Illustrator, creating a new A4 portrait document, the pixel size of the document is

Width=595.2756 px
Height=841.8898 px

But kiwiguy has a valid point.

Try the above px data and see what happens!

Chris
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,759 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Mar-2006, 01:12 AM #4
smaulpaul,

Rounding Chris_E's numbers to 595 x 842 pixels will give you the equivalent to an A4 (8.27" x 11.69") sheet of paper @ 72 dots-per-inch. This would give your PDF output the same resolution as viewing it at 1x magnification on a typical computer monitor. Using 2480 x 3508 pixels would give you the equivalent to an A4 sheet at 300 dots-per-inch. This would match the typical draft output from an inkjet printer.

Anyway, I would suggest you avoid using any software that rasterizes (converts to pixels) vector graphics and text before making a PDF file. Rasterizing a lot of text in particular, does not allow the PDF output to be a fairly small sized file while still maintaining good legibility.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!