Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Rescuing unsaved document in Word 2000

(!)

Member with 138 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-May-2006, 01:36 PM #1
Question Solved: Rescuing unsaved document in Word 2000
Dear Friends,

First of all I apologise as I know that this topic has been posted on the Forum previously but I have been unable to locate the Threads. The O.S. on our computer is XP Home Edition and we use Word 2000.

My wife is the Secretary of a local organisation and typed out three A4 sized pages of Minutes of a Meeting when she decided to end the session and resume the next day. Unfortunately in a "Senior Moment" she clicked the X in the top right hand corner and clicked no to saving the changes in the subsequent dialogue box. As a result she had to re-type the three pages.

In case this happens again I wanted to be prepared. I believe the "file" will still be on the Hard Drive until overwritten but that there is no way on XP that you can rescue it. I seem to recall however on a previous post that there may be some third party software that might be of help and I wondered whether any kind person has any information on this matter.

Thank you for reading this.

Red Cloud
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,334 posts.

17-May-2006, 01:51 PM #2
Do you have Autosave enabled in Word? I am not sure how Word handles the temporary files if one specificaly says not to Save the edited version, as compared to system glitch in the middle of editing. If you use Autosave, this MS article may be of some help in finding the temorary file:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686
Member with 138 posts.

17-May-2006, 05:14 PM #3
Rescuing unsaved document in Word 2000
Dear cwwozniak,

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

Under Tools / Options / File Locations tab/ the specified folder for Auto Recovered files was listed. On the Save tab the AutoRecover was not set ( i.e. not checked).

However reading the Microsoft article it states " AutoRecover is only effective for unplanned disruptions, such as power outages or a crash. AutoRecover files are not designed to be saved when a log off is scheduled or an orderly shutdown occurs" It would appear therefore that in the circumstances I mentioned in my original post, AutoRecover would not have "operated" even if it had been set.

Again many thanks for your kind reply.

Red Cloud
Computer Specs
Member with 1,009 posts.

17-May-2006, 09:25 PM #4
Go Back is a little program that comes as part of Norton SystemWorks. It will take you back to a safe moment in time (it will offer several choices), so that you can back up your computer to before the document was deleted. It has saved me more than once! I don't know whether it is available as a stand-alone program or not. You can probably check it out at their Web site.
Member with 138 posts.

18-May-2006, 01:15 PM #5
Thumbs up Rescuing unsaved document in Word 2000
Dear EB Schrader,

Thank you for your kind response I will certainly investigate the programme you mentioned.

Kind Regards,

Red Cloud
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

18-May-2006, 06:33 PM #6
Go Back isn't going to help if the document was never saved.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,009 posts.

18-May-2006, 06:53 PM #7
NOTHING will help if the document was never saved, even once! I assumed that the document might have existed prior to the final revisions, which has been the case with documents I have managed to save with Go Back. I've used it for many years very successfully.
Member with 138 posts.

19-May-2006, 12:20 PM #8
Rescuing an unsaved document in Word 2000
Dear EB Schrader and Double Helix,

Thank you both for your latest information and now understand the significance of the document never having been saved. Go Back still looks like a useful facility and although it is part of Norton System Works, I have discovered that it can be purchased as a "stand alone" item.

Thank you both again.

Red Cloud
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!