Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Office 2003

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 25 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jul-2006, 05:16 PM #1
Office 2003
I have a legitimate copy of Office 2003 installed on my desktop computer. Can I install the same legitimate copy of Office 2003 on my laptop without incurring the wrath (and possible HD damage) of Microsoft?

Can I also do the same with a legitimate copy of Norton AV?

Thank you,

Jeffrey
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

01-Jul-2006, 06:04 PM #2
i think office actually allows you to run on a desktop and a laptop so long as they are not used at the same time - that used to be the office license - but that may not apply to office2003

http://www.microsoft.com/philippines/genuine/#10
i searched the microsoft site and found the above - but its philippines - !!!!
Senior Member with 2,578 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jul-2006, 06:24 PM #3
This is from Microsoft.

How many installations can be made with one product license? Has this changed with the introduction of Product Activation?

The underlying principles of Microsoft's software licenses have not changed. Microsoft's End User License Agreements (EULAs) have always stipulated the number of PCs that software can be installed on. Product Activation does not change that. Office XP or Office 2003 may be installed on one PC. The primary user of Office may also install one copy on a laptop computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP or Office 2003 on more than these two devices, another license of the product must be acquired. Licenses for Office XP or Office 2003 acquired preinstalled on a new PC are single-PC licenses that cannot be transferred or installed a second time on another PC or laptop computer. Windows XP may be installed on one PC. There are no secondary use rights (e.g. no "laptop clause") in the Windows XP EULA. The aforementioned licensing terms have not been changed due to Product Activation. Some special licensing programs (such as the Microsoft Developer Network) provide additional licensing terms. Please check your specific license agreement or EULA for specifics. Re-installation and re-activation on the same PC can be done an unlimited number of times. Pricing and licensing details are available for Windows XP and Office 2003.

HERE is the link for more information.
Member with 17,584 posts.

01-Jul-2006, 06:32 PM #4
Agree with the above, I run Office 2003 on my desktop and Laptop and it activates just fine.

I have a nagging suspicion that OEM versions (bought cheaply with the new PC) may not allow the dual installs, and have never tried it to see.

"Student and Teachers" edition allows 3 installs for school use in the same household.

I doubt Nortons will allow it, but at any rate it will be clearly defined in the Nortons licence agreement. I would not willingly install Nortons anyway, as its become too resource sapping for my liking.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,012 posts.

01-Jul-2006, 11:22 PM #5
I tried to install Office 2003 on my new Gateway notebook, and the ID was refused because it was an upgrade and there was no previous version of Office on the notebook. *sigh* I tried loading an older version of Publisher, and it wouldn't recognize it. All I needed to upgrade on my PC was two upgradable programs, which I still have: Word 2000 and Publisher 2000. Unfortunately, I can't find the ID for the old Word program. Any suggestions?
Member with 17,584 posts.

02-Jul-2006, 12:15 AM #6
When it asks for a "qualifying program" to "upgrade", you should be able to just let it see the CD for that program without installing it.

This means taking out the Office 2003 CD and putting the older version CD in, then pointing it to that. It should then just ask for the Office 2003 CD to be replaced in the drive and carry on.

That is the way Windows "upgrades" work, so I am assuming that Office upgrades will also work in that manner.

It should "upgrade" from any of the following:

Microsoft Office 2000
Office 2000 Developer, Office 2000 Premium, Office 2000 Professional, Office 2000 Small Business Edition, Office 2000 Standard

• Microsoft Office 97
Office 97 Professional, Office 97 Small Business Edition (version 2), Office 97 Small Business Edition (version 1), Office 97 Standard

• Microsoft Works
Works 6.0, 7.0 or 8.0
Works Suite 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, or 2006
Computer Specs
Member with 1,012 posts.

02-Jul-2006, 12:21 AM #7
Very true. But I no longer had a CD for Office 97, the last complete I had owned. I upgraded to Word 2000 and Publisher 2000 previously. The installation did not recognize a single program CD -- it was looking for another Office program. Gateway tells me it will accept Works, however. We'll see...
Member with 72 posts.

02-Jul-2006, 12:26 AM #8
Office 2003 wants media
I took myself off of the domain I used for school and now every time I open an Office program, it asks for the installation CD. When I try to log back in as the administrator, it does the same thing. Any ideas what is going on? Why would my creating another local user account create this problem?

I have a valid installation, but cannot find my CD. If I have the good product key, how can I get the media for a reinstall? Is there any other way?!?!
Computer Specs
Member with 5,434 posts.

Experience: I'ma learnin'!
03-Jul-2006, 09:54 AM #9
The bottom line: read the fine print on the software you bought. Not all Office discs are the same..

@annieschi: You need your CD, not really any way around that. It probably just needs to reference some installation files and will only take a few minutes.

@EBSchrader: I believe upgrading individual programs is different than upgrading an entire Suite. That's quite a quandry you have. Hard to say the best way to proceed.

@kilowatt1: Good post, but don't forget about OEM versions, which may not allow installation on the original owner's laptop even.
Member with 141 posts.

20-Dec-2006, 11:05 AM #10
May I throw another question into this mix? I installed Office 2003 successfully on a Desktop and then on a Laptop. Now the desktop has been "restored", i.e. using the HP onboard restore partition to set it back to the day I bought it, so I need to reinstall Office 2003, but it won't accept the key. I have the CD and the key which worked before.

Any thoughts?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
22-Dec-2006, 10:32 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepcjanitor
May I throw another question into this mix? I installed Office 2003 successfully on a Desktop and then on a Laptop. Now the desktop has been "restored", i.e. using the HP onboard restore partition to set it back to the day I bought it, so I need to reinstall Office 2003, but it won't accept the key. I have the CD and the key which worked before.

Any thoughts?
I have not had any luck with restore on my Compaq (HP), causes more problems than I had prior to restore. Complete destructive recovery is the way to go. Take CD back to where you bought it and ask them to get it to work
Computer Specs
Member with 11,731 posts.

23-Dec-2006, 12:11 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepcjanitor

Any thoughts?
Activate it by phone.
Member with 141 posts.

26-Dec-2006, 01:27 PM #13
Thanks, I'll try that. I guess I'll call this "solved" for now and reopen it if I am still stuck.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,896 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Dec-2006, 09:40 PM #14
Look on the side of the box for Norton Antivirus. I believe you have two licenses.

Courtney sends....
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!