Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Printer or the Application?

(!)

Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Aug-2006, 08:11 PM #1
Printer or the Application?
Can someone please tell me if its the printer program or the software
program that limits the printing possiblities. I would like to print on
continuous paper (banner paper) up to around 40 inches long X 8.5 inches
wide using Inkscape and an HP deskjet 5650 printer.

I am being limited to one page prints. When I try to print banners
using Ragtime Solo, I have no problems. The banners print just fine.

Please tell me, with custom paper settings of 40
inches long by 8.5 inches wide, should I be able to print without
problems?

Thank you EVERYONE for your help.

jt
Computer Specs
Member with 1,254 posts.

Experience: Skilled: Know all i know and little else
01-Sep-2006, 07:34 AM #2
I think it depends on both.

You will need to set up you application for the custom paper size

eg: MS Word File > Page Setup > Paper

You will need a printer which in the printing propories you can select either a User Defined paper size or Custom paper size. An example of how to set this would be in MS word go:
File > Print... > Proporties

In the paper options box you then select Custom... and set the size.
See the online manual here and go to page 17 http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00044028.pdf

01-Sep-2006, 08:45 PM #3
I checked, checked, and rechecked every setting I can find setting everything to banner printing using banner paper with no result. The HP Print Preview always shows one paper to be printed no matter what the application and printer is set to. I did check the manual many times but I can not resolve this printing problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
jt
Member with 2,309 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Sep-2006, 09:43 PM #4
I think that the application has to be aware that you have a printer capable of printing banner, not just a 40" page.

You are using Word, and it is trying to print to a 40" page, whereas your printer knows it has 8.5"x11" continuous feed paper loaded.

I think it is the application (Word) that is giving you the problem.
Perhaps an updated driver could get past the size issue, by fooling the application into thinking that the printer has "really long paper" capability.

02-Sep-2006, 04:26 PM #5
I'm sorry... I should have been more specifc... I am using Inkscape which is a Vector Graphics Editor, similar to Adobe Illustrator(but its free and VERY cool), to create banners up to 40 inches long. I am not using a word processing program.

Thank you for your help...

jt
Member with 2,309 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Sep-2006, 05:01 PM #6
Different application, same problem. I'm guessing that Inkscape doesn't know what banner is, it is just a 40" page. The 40" page does not get properly handled by your printer driver, since your printer driver sees a 40" page, and it only knows of a 11" page limit (or perhaps up to 14" if it knows what 'legal size' is).

To handle banner properly a 'page length' defined has to be disabled. The printer should see a banner of unknown length come in. The printer then starts the printing and continues until the end, whether that is 5" or 50" or 500".

Thanks for the lead on Inkscape, by the way. I'm going to play with it.
Member with 17,584 posts.

03-Sep-2006, 04:57 PM #7
I agree with ChuckE above, Inkscape would need to be specifically coded to bypass the Windows printer limitations as to default page length (as Ragtime Solo clearly does).

So I doubt there is a "setting" at all, some coding is likely to be required to be changed within Inkscape source code, then the application recompiled.

As it is open source, if you have an expert knowledge of C++/GTK languages, it would probably be possible for you to provide this "feature" for other users, but it would not be a "simple task" I would guess.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!