Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

(Restore) WordPad problem!!!...Plz Help!

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Sep-2006, 12:14 AM #1
WordPad problem!!!...Plz Help!
I've been writing things in a wordpad document for a month now...updating it an saving..I just saved it a hour ago...and went back to it and everything is gone....its blank (disappered?) I thought it was a glitch so I had shutdown my computer and restarted it...but its still blank...I didn't save a blank thing over it (Im sure)...what happened? is there a way to restore it from a previous saved time? Please help me!

-Kristy

Last edited by Midnight6333; 17-Sep-2006 at 12:26 AM..
Member with 17,584 posts.

17-Sep-2006, 01:03 AM #2
There may possibly have been had you not restarted the PC, if a temporary file was still open. Thats how Word operates, however Wordpad is just a rudimentary text editor so its also just as likely that a background temp file is not kept.

Look to ant temp files created around the time, see if they will open in Wordpad, but I really think you are out of luck somehow

17-Sep-2006, 01:23 AM #3
I'm sorry...how do you find temporary files?

17-Sep-2006, 05:37 AM #4
Look for all files that were created at the time in the Temp directory, but as explained above once the program is closed the files are deleted anyway (if Wordpad ever created them, which is very doubtful, I think you need a full Word version or equivalent to have that feature).

Its a feature used by Word et al to be able to recover after a crash while the file was open, but in your case you closed everything, there was no crash.

I can only reiterate "I really think you are out of luck"
Senior Member with 1,764 posts.

17-Sep-2006, 07:53 AM #5
I realise this is a long shot .........

You might have inadvertantly changed the text to white, do you see anything if you click Edit->Select all ?

If there's nothing you can only have somehow cleared the document before saving it, in which
case, as kiwiguy says you're out of luck.

17-Sep-2006, 09:23 AM #6
Kitch - no there nothing when I change the font color and it wont let me select all...thank you tho it was a good idea....

kiwiguy- I'm sorry I'm still confused... Temp directory? where would it be located on my computer?...I think I do have a full word version...but even if I don't and there was no temp file created...atleast i'll know what to do if it happens again...

17-Sep-2006, 05:47 PM #7
As we do not know what version of Windows you use, we cannot state where any directory will be with certainty, as it varies by version.

If you have Word installed, I wonder why you used Wordpad, as it offers no "autosave" features that *may* have helped...?
Junior Member with 9 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 01:07 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight6333
I've been writing things in a wordpad document for a month now...updating it an saving..I just saved it a hour ago...and went back to it and everything is gone....its blank (disappered?) I thought it was a glitch so I had shutdown my computer and restarted it...but its still blank...I didn't save a blank thing over it (Im sure)...what happened? is there a way to restore it from a previous saved time? Please help me!

-Kristy
If your computer have been infected with virus, some virus maybe destroy your document.
And are you sure nobody touch your computer during your leaving?
Junior Member with 9 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 01:09 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy
As we do not know what version of Windows you use, we cannot state where any directory will be with certainty, as it varies by version.

If you have Word installed, I wonder why you used Wordpad, as it offers no "autosave" features that *may* have helped...?
There is no autosave feature in Word. There is only auto recovery feature in it.
See here,
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

It's safe to open the url. That site is MS' MVP.

25-Sep-2006, 02:06 AM #10
I am aware that there is only an autorecovery in Word, however if the program suffered a "glitch" as was suggested above it may have left that unclosed autorecovery file. So the outcome under Word may have been different.

However that is just semantics as Wordpad offers neither recovery or autosave option according to my research.

05-Oct-2007, 10:51 AM #11
I keep getting sorry but http://log.go.com/log%3Fsrvc everytime I go online to view an episode online!! what is this about? Can you help me?

05-Oct-2007, 10:57 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceen
I keep getting sorry but http://log.go.com/log%3Fsrvc everytime I go online to view an episode online!! what is this about? Can you help me?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
18-Nov-2007, 05:52 PM #13
Oceen, you are offtopic - if you have a question about something, please start your own thread and explain what you are trying to do.
Midnight, I am afraid you are almost certainly out of luck. If you right-click on your file and go to properties, what does it say the file size is? If it says 0 bytes, then your information is gone. If it is larger than that, then something still exists in the file - but the lack of the ability to select all almost certainly means it is gone.
Although it won't make any difference here as far as I know, if you want to find the temp files, click on the start button and go to Search. In the filename search bar, enter *.tmp (or possibly the first 3 letters of a file name, followed by a tilde (~) .tmp (like nam~.tmp).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!