Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

MS Word document is scrambled

(!)

Member with 151 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Sep-2006, 05:29 PM #1
MS Word document is scrambled
I'm using MS Word 2002 and created a newsletter at work. I thought I would do some finishing touches at home, therefore, I sent it to my home email address. When I opened up my document, it was all scrambled. Its supposed to be a one page with 3 large photos and the announcement at the bottom of the page. However, 1 of the photo is at the bottom of the page, 2nd photo is on the upper right corner and the 3rd photo is in the middle. And the announcement is on the right side of the document. When I created it at work, it was perfect with the text on top, the photos in the middle and the announcement at the bottom of the page. Can someone tell me what's wrong. Would appreciate any help.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Sep-2006, 12:39 PM #2
did you send it as an attachment or in the body of the e-mail and do you have the same version at home?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 301 posts.

Experience: Currently working on my MCSA
20-Sep-2006, 01:52 PM #3
Yeah what he said, remeber Word has versions of 2003, 2000, 98, etc. Generally the rule is if you have 2003 you can view anything, but if you record in the most current version and then don't have that at home, or have MS works instead of word it will look kind of different. Most of the time what you made at work is fine and it's just your home software that can't properly view it. You could always post it here as an attachment later and there are tons here who could immediately tell you if something was actually wrong with it.
Member with 151 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 05:05 PM #4
Sorry for the delay. Usually I receive an email notification if someone has replied to my thread and did not receive anything, therefore, I thought I would check to see if anyone responded.

I have both MS Word 2003. I sent is as an attachment. When I got home, it was all scrambled.

I would like for you guys to see this document, however, it won't let me upload it as either a word document or zip file. It says I exceed the limits. Could I maybe email it to one of you guys?
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 05:20 PM #5
I'm confused. You have Word 2002 at work and 2003 at home?

You can send it to me. ADDRESS REMOVED and I'll have a look at it.

I'll remove my address once I receive the file.........

Last edited by ~Candy~; 25-Sep-2006 at 06:14 PM..
Member with 151 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 06:09 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaCandy
I'm confused. You have Word 2002 at work and 2003 at home?

You can send it to me. acacandy@prodigy.net.mx and I'll have a look at it.

I'll remove my address once I receive the file.........
Like I said in my above post, I have MS Word 2003 at work and home. I have sent my attachment at your email address. I put "Tech Support Guy" in the subject of my email.

Thank You.

25-Sep-2006, 06:16 PM #7
I am using Word 2003 SP2, and it looks beautiful. It has only 2 photos though. One to the right, and one kind of in the middle at the bottom.

Can you open Word, then go to help about and tell us what it says on both machines?

25-Sep-2006, 06:22 PM #8
You are using an awful long file name though, I'm wondering if that may be playing havoc? At work, you might try to name it grandma.doc and save it that way, then email it and see if the problem persists.

I'm wondering if you might not be using WORKS instead of WORD?
Member with 151 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 06:38 PM #9
Quote:
I am using Word 2003 SP2, and it looks beautiful. It has only 2 photos though. One to the right, and one kind of in the middle at the bottom.

Can you open Word, then go to help about and tell us what it says on both machines?
There is 3 photots in the document. Did you scroll all the way to the right?
Member with 151 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 06:39 PM #10
Quote:
You are using an awful long file name though, I'm wondering if that may be playing havoc? At work, you might try to name it grandma.doc and save it that way, then email it and see if the problem persists.

I'm wondering if you might not be using WORKS instead of WORD?
How would shortening the file name have anything to do with how it longs in the "body" of the document?

I have shortened the length of the file name to "test" and it still looks scrambled.

I'll double check to see if I'm actually using "works" at work.

25-Sep-2006, 07:08 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therookie
There is 3 photots in the document. Did you scroll all the way to the right?

Ok, just did that and I see it is larger. I'd say that is waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy out of an 8 1/2 wide sheet of paper.

Something is amiss, I would be very surprised if you WERE NOT using WORKS at one location or the other.

25-Sep-2006, 07:08 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therookie
How would shortening the file name have anything to do with how it longs in the "body" of the document?

I have shortened the length of the file name to "test" and it still looks scrambled.

I'll double check to see if I'm actually using "works" at work.
I meant on the computer that it was created on
Member with 151 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 08:08 PM #13
Quote:
I went to help about at home and I have MS Word 2002 and I just called my co-worker and she said we have MS Word 2002 at work as well.

By the way, did you ever find that 3 photo in my document? So, do you have any suggestions on why its soooo scrambled?

25-Sep-2006, 08:42 PM #14
You said Word 2002 first, then went to 2003, then back to 2002......I'm clueless.

It looks ok to me, but not how you described it. If you created it in 2002 and saved it in 2002, and attached it as an email attachment and opened it using 2002, then it should look the same.
Member with 151 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 08:51 PM #15
Quote:
You said Word 2002 first, then went to 2003, then back to 2002......I'm clueless.

It looks ok to me, but not how you described it. If you created it in 2002 and saved it in 2002, and attached it as an email attachment and opened it using 2002, then it should look the same.
Sorry about that. It is definitely 2002 at work and home.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!