Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Converting Word Perfect To Word

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

14-Aug-2001, 05:36 PM #1
How do I convert old Word-Perfect (WP) files on diskett to Word on my new Emachine hard-drive. I thought Word had an automatic converter. Actually, my emachine didn't come with the full version Word, but with Works Word-Processor. Anyway, I found that a couple of my diskett WP files opened okay in Word Pad, but most don't open in anything. Does anyone know the solution. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,731 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Aug-2001, 06:08 PM #2
Open them in WordPerfect and save-as Works or open them in Word and do the same. If you just have a few, email to techsupportgirl@home.com
Junior Member with 9 posts.

14-Aug-2001, 10:13 PM #3
Convert WordPerfect files to Word
Dreamboat:

Thank you for responding.You told me to open in WordPerfect and save as Works, or open in Word and save as Works. I don't have any WordPerfect, so I chose the latter option. Here's where I've been:

The past 5-days, I've been all over the net, on phone-calls to tech supports, total 20-hours, trying to open my old WordPerfect files into my Works Word Processor that came with my Emachine, which is a shortened Word program. Could that be the problem? Does Works automatically convert WP files like Word does, or do I need to down-load converters or buy a software program for converting files?

My old WordPerfect files on my disketts won't convert, or open, they won't even copy to the desk-top or anywhere else. On my new emachine, when I try to drag floppy files to My Documents folder or other folders directly, I get the error message: "File not supported by any of the installed converters." On my old Pentium-One machine, where I have the full Word installed (although an older version 4.0), I get "Word cannot start the converter WPFT5.CNV," and "Cannot copy file...The system cannot read from the specified device," and "Program.exe not found," and several other error messages on both machines.

On my old machine, I finally found that by opening Word, File-Open, Directory MS Office-Winword, select file-name, okay, that it opened some of my files, but not all. Do I need to down-load converters, or buy a conversion software package? Then when I went to my new machine, I opened Works Word, opened floppy files, right-clicked file, open-with, choose... I chose each option, and none of the options work. They all freeze up the word-processor, and I have to end-tasks (control, alt, delete).

I know I'll find someone with a swift and simple solution if I keep at this for a few more weeks. Hope you or someone can help me out here? Thanks a bunch.

Account Disabled with 1,222 posts.

14-Aug-2001, 10:46 PM #4
Some of the files just might be corrupt and you won't be able to open them regardless of what you try. Works should at least attempt a conversion even if it doesn't convert everything perfectly. Have you tried to open them in WordPad? What version of WordPerfect did you use to create the files?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,731 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Aug-2001, 06:03 AM #5
I'm sorry. I meant to say the "real" Word (because Word that comes with Works isn't the "real" Word). How many files do you have? I could actually write a macro that will batch convert them, if you have that many. Stop wasting your time and email them to me. If necessary, we'll talk snail-mail to get them to me.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

22-Aug-2002, 03:33 PM #6
Thumbs up Here is the answer you have been waiting for!
I work at a hospital and I am in charge of converting all Hospital files including policies from Word Perfect to Word. Here is what you do:

1) Place your Word CD in the CD tray
2) Install the conversion and filter software
3) Once installed you should be able to open Word
4) Click 'File' then Choose 'New'
5) Click on the 'Other Documents' Tab
6) Click on Batch Conversion Wizard
7) Follow Steps and Chose Word Perfect 6.x
8) This will convert must files, but you may need to do some reformatting and correct some errors.

I have used this on over 500 files at the same time, and they all came out perfect...They were in Word Perfect 9 format.
Member with 166 posts.

23-Aug-2002, 08:19 AM #7
You should be able to save the WordPerfect documents as .rtf and then open them in Word. The .rtf format keeps the formatting of the document.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!