Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

outlook 2007 slow

(!)

Member with 90 posts.

19-Jan-2007, 11:09 PM #1
outlook 2007 slow
There are MANY people who have complained that Outlook 2007 is disgracefully slow, yet I have not seen any resolution or fixes/patches at all. How pathetic of Microsoft to say the least.

My pst file is 424MB and I do NOT use desktop search add-on (which also slows down Outlook beyond human comprehension).

I've had this problem BEFORE & AFTER doing an O/S reload of Vista RTM (official release MSDN). My drive is defragmented weekly and my system is fast as can get for a laptop:

Specs:

Sony Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz (laptop)
2GB Memory
Vista Ultimate
Office 2007 Ultimate

I would like to know of a fix for this nonsense.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

07-Mar-2007, 10:09 PM #2
I have no idea why Microsoft has not publicized this: all you have to do is open Outlook 2007, click the ‘tools’ tab/ trust center/ add-ins/ “go” (at the very bottom)/ and uncheck ‘outlookaddin.’ That’s it! It has solved ALL of my problems.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Mar-2007, 10:06 AM #3
I wish that was the fix! That did nothing to speed up the unbelievably slow Outlook 2007. Whenever Outlook 2007 does a send/receive, all windows associated with Outlook (including any new messages being edited) freeze for about 30 seconds.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,419 posts.

Experience: I'ma learnin'!
25-Mar-2007, 12:47 PM #4
Um, your PST file is light years beyond 'severly over-bloated'. You've got to get rid of that thing.

Just FYI, even though you may have heard many people complain about how slow Outlook 2007 is, it's generally not the application, and SP1 won't be coming out until probably early next year.

Your hareware looks decent enough, just get rid of that nasty PST file. I would rename it (i.e. Outlook.pst.old), zip it and store it. If this is for work, you might want to think about telling your boss(es) about Exchange Server. It would help with this.

@liamk: You may have had an add-in that was either slowing the application down or corrupting some of the processes/objects used in its instance. This happens quite often actually (with the add-ins), i.e. Adobe, NAV.
Computer Specs

Experience: Advanced
05-Apr-2007, 12:16 PM #5
Outlook 2007 and Compatability Mode
My Outlook 2007 is still running really slowly after I've done all that I could based on information on this and other forums. What I am really finding is that it is most slow when I am opening attachments--specifically Word files not created in XML. They open up in "compatability mode." Any way around that? Batch conversions? Pointing to another editor application?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,419 posts.

Experience: I'ma learnin'!
05-Apr-2007, 04:16 PM #6
Hi semicolon1,

Generally it is better to start your own thread.

In answer to your question, check out this link...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Experience: Advanced
12-Apr-2007, 03:25 PM #7
Talking Outlook 2007 solution found
This worked for me at least.

I have about 10 pop accounts. I changed them to forward to my primary account and then disabled receiving from them in Outlook (all but the one primary account).

Now Outlook 2007 doesn't slow my system and itself to a crawl during Send/Receive.

I posted complete details on my blog.

15-Apr-2007, 12:38 AM #8
This has worked for me...so far
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

Renaming the data files as noted in the article has had an immediate positive impact on performance. Time will tell if it holds up...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!