Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Access: Database Opens Read-Only

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

27-Sep-2001, 09:10 AM #1
Angry Database opens "read only" in error
I cleaned the Nimda virus off 5 (networked) pcs. Don't know if this is a leftover but the database opens "read only" and it never should. This isn't consistent, either -- sometimes it happens and sometimes not. How can I fix this??
Computer Specs
Member with 11,714 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Sep-2001, 10:15 AM #2
Assuming this is Access:

Create a new, blank database. Then File-Get external data-Import, find the read-only database and import data and structures (everything).

Alternatively, have you tried a repair/compact?
Senior Member with 941 posts.

27-Sep-2001, 11:46 AM #3
Also: when you say it opens "read-only", what do you mean? Does it give you a message like this one:

The database blahblah.mdb is read-only. You won't be able to save changes made to data or.....

or is it a different one?

You might also check the properties of the file, from Win Explorer, to see what that has to say. You're not, by any chance, burning the db onto CDs are you? Because that will lock the file for opening...

I'd like to hear what that read-only message says. If you're still working on it.

27-Sep-2001, 02:26 PM #4
"Read-only" database
Yes, this is Access. Sorry.

Okay, Dreamboat, I created a new, blank db and imported everything. It performed the same way as the other one, which is that it apparently opens in "exclusive" mode. I then used the repair option on the original database, but it didn't help.

Down, the message is the one you mentioned, that no changes to data or objects will be saved. The file properties don't seem out of order. No, I'm not trying to burn a CD.

Also -- assuming this every gets fixed -- how do I keep the windows from staying the way I left them (i.e., maximized)? I've noticed this in the past, too, that the windows are minimized next time I access them.

Thanks, guys.
Computer Specs

27-Sep-2001, 02:48 PM #5
Okay, Dreamboat, I created a new, blank db and imported everything. It performed the same way as the other one, which is that it apparently opens in "exclusive" mode. I then used the repair option on the original database, but it didn't help.

Tools-Startup-Advanced, turn off open in exclusive.

Assuming it's Access 2000, are you opening an Access 97 database and NOT converting it? You need to convert it to 2000 if you intend to make design/object changes from an Access 2000 machine. The Access 97 user will no longer be able to open the database.

What happened when you checked the properties from Windows explorer?

I want to know the answer to the min/max size, too, Down!

27-Sep-2001, 03:10 PM #6
Database STILL read-only....
The Startup-Advanced "exclusive" checkbox was and is unchecked. From Windows Explorer, the only property checked is "archive." I am running another virus scan. I am not yet pulling my hair out. I will keep you posted.

27-Sep-2001, 04:33 PM #7
Database read-only
The scan didn't help. Still the same problem. Any other suggestions?
Computer Specs

27-Sep-2001, 06:48 PM #8
Oh, yes. I also meant to say:

Run the repair and compact on the NEW database, not the old one.

03-Oct-2001, 10:46 AM #9
Database opening read-only
Dreamboat,

I finally set up a new workgroup info file and transferred the database to it, thinking maybe the virus had affected that too....And now, this morning, the NEW new, repaired, compacted database is opening read-only.

That is until I read your response to someone else (2 messages down) about holding the left shift key down while opening the file. That worked !!! So for now, I guess I'm out of the woods. Did you think that the left shift key thing only worked for Office 2000?

03-Oct-2001, 11:18 AM #10
Database, read-only
I spoke too soon. That didn't fix it. I am back at square one. The database opens read-only if a second user tries to get to it. I don't know what to do.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!