Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Unable to open the Outlook window.

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Feb-2007, 06:37 PM #1
Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Unable to open the Outlook window.
We have all of our user's email set up to deliver to a personal folder that resides on a server with Windows 2003. We have a small number of people that get the error message below. They eventually get in, but either have to close outlook and reopen several times or they have to reboot their computer. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks!

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Unable to open the Outlook window.
The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available.
Contact your administrator if this condition persists."

I have tried every suggestion I could find on the internet, but still haven't found a solution.

any help would be much appreciated.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

03-Apr-2007, 06:26 PM #2
I am having the same issue. It happened after trying to resolve another error message unable to open default e-mail folders .... outlook.pst is being used by another process. I started deleting old archive and files I deemed unnecessary in the outlook folder and now I am getting the same message that you posted. Please help if you can. Thanks.

04-Apr-2007, 12:36 PM #3
I'm sorry we are still having this issue. We have not been able to find anything that fixes it. Are you having it with just one machine or more than one?
Junior Member with 9 posts.

18-Apr-2007, 04:08 PM #4
I had exactly the same error... Try running SCANPST.EXE , which sits in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\ - It fixed my problem 100%

Good luck

18-Apr-2007, 04:42 PM #5
Thanks for the suggestion! We tried that too and it helped for a day or so, then the error came back. We have it on several computers though. We've even tried creating new pst files for the users.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

19-Apr-2007, 04:01 PM #6
Sorry man, I don't know what else to say - good luck with it though...
Junior Member with 1 posts.

20-Apr-2007, 12:28 PM #7
I just talked to someone today with this exact problem. Microsoft has an article about this error which helped me fix it, at least for now.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252304

Outlook.exe was NOT in compatibility mode, which is fix #1. The user was running XP so I had her go into the registry, backup the Profiles key under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem," then delete the Profiles key. Outlook gave her the same error. Restored the Profiles key from backup and Outlook allowed her to connect. It's a weird kind of fix, but it worked for now.

14-May-2007, 01:04 PM #8
try this...
Control Panel
Mail
Show Profiles
Remove the profile listed
Add %username%

19-Jun-2009, 12:45 AM #9
I have a client with this same problem and I have tried everything I have found to resolve it. I created a new profile, that only worked for a few days. I followed ALL of MS solution's (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252304)..no luck. Renamed .pst, rebooted,and renamed it back..nope... I finally got with a friend who has his own pc repair company and told me the only thing that he has found that works is to uninstall Office 2007 completely, then run a program called "ripout office 2007", then reinstalling. I am in the process of trying this and will let you know how it goes after a week or so.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jun-2009, 09:11 AM #10
I encountered the same problem 3 days ago. I found this solution on the net. As of now, it's working fine.

Start->run..then type the following -> "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane"

29-Jun-2009, 07:54 PM #11
Sweet! I have an XP Pro SP3 w/Office 2007. This error message just poppped up today. However, d-pabs "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" fixed the problem immediately. I did run an office diagnostics right after and now it's all good.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jun-2009, 08:22 AM #12
I'd like to update this. It seems my fix is only a temporary fix? Has anyone been having problems with their Outlook 2007 crashing once they click on an email? It seems as though it's getting caught up in the 'reading pane' or something? Mine has been crashing at least 5+ times a day randomly for the last 3-4 weeks; bizarre because I've never had issues until now. After this crash, I get the same error message "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Unable to open the Outlook window." and must re-run my 'fix'. Has anyone else encountered this?

Last edited by d-pabs; 30-Jun-2009 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: add more info.

11-Jul-2009, 05:54 PM #13
Not sure if this will apply to others... I just got this error message today for the first time (using Windows XP Professional). I restored my registry from an update just a few days ago and was able to open Outlook without incident and with no error messages. Keeping my fingers crossed.

14-Nov-2009, 01:27 AM #14
This worked! Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-pabs View Post
I encountered the same problem 3 days ago. I found this solution on the net. As of now, it's working fine.

Start->run..then type the following -> "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane"

14-Nov-2009, 01:28 AM #15
This worked. Thank you very much.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
command line, outlook, outlook.exe, switches

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!