Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

MS Word 2000 - Pictures Not Appearing

(!)

Member with 298 posts.

19-Feb-2007, 06:36 PM #1
Question MS Word 2000 - Pictures Not Appearing
I created a Plant List with pictures of all my garden plants that I added from photos on the Internet. The document is large, 11.4 MB, and when I scroll down to view the pages, I get this message when I get to about the middle of the document:

There is not enough memory or disk space to display or print the picture.

Is there a way around this? I tried printing my document, but the graphics do not appear, which makes the usefulness of my Plant List obsolete.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Chip
Member with 17,584 posts.

20-Feb-2007, 12:13 AM #2
I do not have Word 2000 installed here (I have it at my other PC at the holiday house though). It does not handle large files well, 11.5 MB is a very large file.

It bloats with pictures, later versions are better as they will compress the image.

If you have the images from the web to your PC in a directory, then when using the Insert - Picture - From file - there should (working from memory for 2000) be a drop down arrow beside the "Insert" that gives the option of linking.

Try that, it should stop the bloating and allow printing. The pictures are not embedded then only a link to the picture that is held on the hard drive.

Don't forget to delete all the existing images, you should try to insert-link all images and see how it goes.

Last edited by kiwiguy; 20-Feb-2007 at 01:01 AM..
Member with 298 posts.

20-Feb-2007, 12:32 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy
I do not have Word 2000 installed here (I have it at my other PC at the holiday house though). It does not handle large files well, 11.5 MB is a very large file.

It bloats with pictures, later versions are better as they will compress the image.

If you dave the images from the web to your PC in a directory, then when using the Insert - Picture - From file - there should (working from memory for 2000) be a drop down arrow beside the "Insert" that gives the option of linking.

Try that, it should stop the bloating and allow printing. The pictures are not embedded then only a link to the picture that is held on the hard drive.

Don't forget to delete all the existing images, you should try to insert-link all images and see how it goes.
Thanks very much for the reply. Not sure if it was a typing error...You said "If you dave the images..."

To use the Insert-Link, does the picture have to be on my hard drive, or can I use a link to where the picture is online? It will t hen print the picture but just not show it on my PC, is that correct?

Thanks again.
Member with 298 posts.

20-Feb-2007, 12:59 AM #4
Doh, I figured it out! Thanks again, kiwiguy.
Member with 17,584 posts.

20-Feb-2007, 01:05 AM #5
Fixed the spelling error - thanks!

You would be unwise in the extreme to not have the images permanently stored on the PC, the web based ones may be gone tomorrow and your document would then have missing images.

I am assuming this is just for your garden, but to use any image off the web is technically breaching copyright if you were ever to make it available to others. Recently I needed to do that, and sought written agreements from the image owners, it was a very long and frustrating process.

Remember when you backup the file for when the hard drive dies next week, you have to also backup the images as well. They are separate to the document but it depends on them.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!