Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Word document names in blue!?!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Mar-2007, 07:11 PM #1
Word document names in blue!?!
Since this morning when I was working with a Word document, now all at once there are a bunch of documents showing up in My Computer in blue! Everything else is in black, as usual. I jumped all around to see if this is consistent, and I can't tell why or when these files are now shown in blue like a highlighted URL (which they aren't!). There are also other types of individual files now showing in blue, but no folders. What's going on?
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,812 posts.

04-Mar-2007, 11:10 PM #2
If you are running Windows XP, the blue filenames may indicate compressed files.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...c18621675.mspx
Both encrypted and compressed files can be displayed with alternate colors in My Computer. Encrypted files are green, and compressed files are blue. Files and folders can either be encrypted or compressed, but they cannot be both encrypted and compressed.
That page also has information on the Folder Options settings to control the use of colors to indicate compressed and encrypted files.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

05-Mar-2007, 12:12 AM #3
I have never encrypted or compressed files, and these are really hit or miss. I just now recalled that I downloaded and installed a file today for for working with MS Office files in 2007 when I have 2003. Could that be doing it? It was mentioned here for someone who couldn't open files with the X ending, like .docx -- which I don't have! I haven't explored the program -- maybe it changes colors for some reason....
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,812 posts.

05-Mar-2007, 12:56 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSchrader
I just now recalled that I downloaded and installed a file today for for working with MS Office files in 2007 when I have 2003. Could that be doing it?
I have heard about the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack for Office 2003. So far, I am not in any hurry to install it on any of my PCs. Still waiting to let others find out if it creates more problems than it solves.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

05-Mar-2007, 02:17 AM #5
I uninstalled it, but the blue color didn't go away, even after rebooting. The only other thing I've done is to run Disc Cleanup. Does that compact older files? And turn their titles blue?
Member with 17,584 posts.

05-Mar-2007, 02:39 AM #6
Yes, if that is a selected option, disc cleanup will compress old file, then they will appear with blue filenames.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!