Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

MS WORD 2007 not opening old documents

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Apr-2007, 01:49 PM #1
MS WORD 2007 not opening old documents
hello
i recently installed the new MS 2007 and its not letting me open my old word documents straight away from the desktop...however if i open the file through MS Word manually it works...this may seem easy but i got lotsa word files to open so help on this is much appreciated...im also using windows vista...maybe thats something got to do with it..im not sure...thanks in advance...
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Apr-2007, 01:29 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer_crawl
hello
i recently installed the new MS 2007 and its not letting me open my old word documents straight away from the desktop...however if i open the file through MS Word manually it works...this may seem easy but i got lotsa word files to open so help on this is much appreciated...im also using windows vista...maybe thats something got to do with it..im not sure...thanks in advance...
Hi,

I have the same problem. MS WORD 2007 and VISTA. Did you ever get the answer? it is so frustrating!

Thanks,

Gavin
Senior Member with 894 posts.

24-Apr-2007, 01:46 PM #3
Hi,

Have you changed printers recently.

MS Word may not like opening a document which was created with a different default printer than that which you now have.

Try the "generic" fix for all MS Word bugs.

Search for and then delete all copies of the MS Word template file named

normal.dot.

This is the name of the "document 1" blank page that appears when you start MS Word. It can become corrupted and cause this type of problem.

hth

Ceri
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.

24-Apr-2007, 02:12 PM #4
Hi,

I have installed Microsoft Office 2007 on my Laptop running Vista Home Premium. When I double click a Word document with the extension .doc it opens with Wordpad and is not readable.

I have tried right clicking the .doc file and choosing open with. The problem is that Word 2007 does not appear in the open with dialogue box.

I then try open with and select browse. I find winword.exe and select it but it doesn't 'stick'.

I can open a .doc file by opening Word 2007 first then selecting open and browsing for the .doc file. That to me is a long winded way to open the file. I just want to double click as I've always done in older versions of Word. Can you help?

Thanks Gavin
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
24-Apr-2007, 02:19 PM #5
just replied in this thread - see if it helps: http://forums.techguy.org/business-a...file-word.html
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Aug-2008, 01:07 PM #6
Unhappy similar problem with all file extensions
I have similar problems.
Word 2007 would not open any document, including .docx files, when I double click on them. This used to work just fine. The system is a clean install of Vista Ultimate with Office Ultimate. Word just opens without any document, not even a blank one.
If I open Word 2007 first and then browse to the file location from File --> Open it will work just fine.
If I close Word I am getting errors saying that Word has encountered problems and is searching for a solution.

The event logs show the following sequence for each incident:

under Office diagnostics I have the following events.
Event ID Description
202 Office diagnostics started by user
213 The default thresholds are used
205 Office diagnostics determined that there is no evidence of repeated problems
503 Office diagnostics will offer Online Help
999 Office diagnostics is closing

The Microsoft Office Session logs show the following events:
Event ID: 7001
Description: ID: 0, Application: Microsoft Office Word, Application Version: 12.0.6308, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.6215.1000. This session lasted 13 seconds with 0 seconds of active time. This session ended with a crash.

Any suggestions are much appreciated
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

14-Aug-2008, 01:30 PM #7
Junior Member with 2 posts.

14-Aug-2008, 04:15 PM #8
Hi Slurpee55,

I appreciate your response. Unfortunately your response refers to system event logs, which really doesn't apply to my issue. The event log entries I have listed are actually Application events. I also have an open support case with Microsoft and am awaiting a response from that end as well. I will certainly add my experience and hopefully a solution to this thread.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

14-Aug-2008, 04:29 PM #9
All the notices featuring Event ID: 7001 tie into, in one way or another, problems with servers, such as this one
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838857
Member with 390 posts.

14-Aug-2008, 05:16 PM #10
It seems you haven't linked your doc files to Word 2007 in Folder Options. Open My Computer or Computer in Vista, go to menu and click Tools > Folder Options. Click on the File Types tab, scroll down the list till you see the DOC extension, click on it then click on the Change button. You will be given a list of programs to choose from, if you can't find Word click on Browse to find it. After this click on OK then on Close. You should then be able to load any DOC file into Word 2007 by double clicking on it.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

14-Aug-2008, 06:50 PM #11
Same Issue, More Info
One of my co-workers is experiencing the same issue. I've already tried replacing and deleting the normal.dotm, but no change. My issue is the same as mikevc's in post #6, but I've noticed that it is profile/user specific. If I log into the same computer and open the same documents under my user profile, everything works great. However, my coworker cannot open documents directly and must first open word. Word always reports an error on closing, even if no documents were opened.
Hoping for some resolution. Will check back tomorrow and post any more findings.

Also, in response to plantsman above, the issue I'm experiencing (and I imagine mikevc is too) is not that Word 2007 doesn't open when a doc or docx is clicked, but that Word 2007 opens with no document in it. You can then open it manually from the Open... dialog, but Word always throws the error at closing.

Travis
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

14-Aug-2008, 07:20 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantsman View Post
It seems you haven't linked your doc files to Word 2007 in Folder Options. Open My Computer or Computer in Vista, go to menu and click Tools > Folder Options. Click on the File Types tab, scroll down the list till you see the DOC extension, click on it then click on the Change button. You will be given a list of programs to choose from, if you can't find Word click on Browse to find it. After this click on OK then on Close. You should then be able to load any DOC file into Word 2007 by double clicking on it.

Sorry no such thing I can see in Vista.
Member with 390 posts.

15-Aug-2008, 08:01 AM #13
Sorry, this is another feature that's been dropped in Vista. You have to right click on a DOC file and choose 'Open with' from the list. choose or browse for Word and make sure the 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' button is ticked. Strange though that Word opens already but with a blank page. I don't have Word 2007 but previous versions had a 'Detect and Repair' option in the Help menu, maybe it's still there and if so would be worth trying.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
15-Aug-2008, 08:28 AM #14
Do any of you that are having issues have both versions of MS Word installed? IE 2003 and 2007? If so when it pops up with a blank window, then minimize and the file should pop up for you. It is an "Undocumented Feature" when you have both versions installed.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

15-Aug-2008, 09:52 AM #15
Plantsman,
I've tried the "Open With..." method. No go. As I said above, Word 2007 is opening when I click on a docx document, but there is no document in Word. As mikevc says, you can then click File, Open and open the document that way. Oh, and every time you close Word 2007, whether you openend a document or not, it reports an error. It claims the error is known and can be resolved by downloading an update, but there are no updates available (for Office or Vista). And I've already made sure I'm not "hiding" any updates.

Jimr381,
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it is a no go, also. I did have Office 2003 installed, but when I installed Office 2007 I ran it as an upgrade, so Word and Excel 2003 should have been uninstalled to be replaced by their 2007 counterparts.

mikevc,
Have you tried this in another profile (under another user account) on the same computer? Does it work that way?

Any other ideas, anyone?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!