Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't open a .doc file with Word 2007

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Apr-2007, 02:08 PM #1
Can't open a .doc file with Word 2007
Hi,

I have installed Microsoft Office 2007 on my Laptop running Vista Home Premium. When I double click a Word document with the extension .doc it opens with Wordpad and is not readable.

I have tried right clicking the .doc file and choosing open with. The problem is that Word 2007 does not appear in the open with dialogue box.

I then try open with and select browse. I find winword.exe and select it but it doesn't 'stick'.

I can open a .doc file by opening Word 2007 first then selecting open and browsing for the .doc file. That to me is a long winded way to open the file. I just want to double click as I've always done in older versions of Word. Can you help?

Thanks Gavin
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
24-Apr-2007, 03:16 PM #2
In WordPad you should be able to read older Word .doc without gibberish - if you see something like ࡱ >    p  r  o
Then maybe you are getting them opened in NotePad? (Note, I don't have 07, so I don't know what the default settings are).
However, just go open a folder, go to tools, folder options, file types and go to the group starting with DOC (through something like DOCHTML) - they should all be set to open with Microsoft Word 2007. If they are not, click on Change and select Word as the program to open them.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2007, 03:25 PM #3
Hi there,

I have tried what you said with regards to folder options and default programs. It doesn't allow .doc files to be changed to open with winword.exe

It allows it to be changed to almost anything else other than that!

You are correct about the notepad/wordpad thing but I want them to open with word.

Gavin
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

24-Apr-2007, 04:17 PM #4
Check this out: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...749091033.aspx
Maybe something there...
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2007, 04:48 PM #5
Hi,

I so wish it was as easy as that! :-)

I have tried that procedure but the word 2007 is not in the list of programs to open with. There is the option of manually assigning a program but when Word 2007 is selected, the minute I click ok nothing happens.

I can assign Word 2007 to open other types of files but just not the .doc file! It's crazy.

I see from searching google that many others have the same problem but I've yet to find a solution.

Gavin
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

24-Apr-2007, 06:10 PM #6
Maybe a bit different from what I wrote before:
In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File Types tab.
In the Registered file types list, click the file type you want to open with a different program, and then click Change.
In the Open With dialog box, select the program you want to use, and then click OK.
Click OK in the Folder Options dialog box.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2007, 06:41 PM #7
Hi,

That process you explained is how file associations are changed in Windows XP. I am using vista. Folder options doesn't exist anymore. That is the 'old' way of doing things.

Do you have vista?

Thanks,

Gavin
Member with 17,584 posts.

25-Apr-2007, 02:08 AM #8
In Vista, go to Control Panel - Default Programs

It is all done from there now.
Member with 1,178 posts.

25-Apr-2007, 02:44 AM #9
Office 2007 Converter Utility Package
Guys,

Although older MS Office documents are designed to open OK with the new Office 2007, there may be some problems with older documents and file formats that the user who posted above was having difficulty opening and reading.

Consider downloading and installing the MS Office 2007 Converter Package. This will help your computer read older Office files created in older versions of Office (97-2003) if you are using Office 2007:

Here is the file to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

IMPORTANT: BEFORE DOWNLOADING THIS UPGRADE, YOU MUST VISIT MICROSOFT UPDATE AND INSURE THAT ALL CRITICAL SECURITY PATCHES ARE INSTALLED FIRST FOR THIS PATCH TO WORK. Go to Microsoft update main site:

http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us and get the updates. If you are updating for the first time, or haven't done so for a long time, you may be asked to install a small plug in so that the update information can run on your computer. Go ahead and get the plug-in. If you are still just doing Windows Update, note that you will be prompted to update to Microsoft Update. By following the steps at the site, you will get your Windows Updates and updates for Office and other MS programs in the same step. Users with supported versions of Office (Office XP-2003) should do this. Users with Office 2007, and ESPECIALLY WINDOWS VISTA USERS WITH OFFICE 2007 MUST DO THIS FOR THIS PATCH TO WORK PROPERLY.

Eventually, it is hoped that MS will release an update to Vista or a Service Patch for Office 2007 so that this converter will be automatically included in future releases of Office 2007, but if you can't open older Office documents and are running Office 2007, visit Microsoft Update, install ALL Patches and than get the file converter for Office 2007 indicated above.

It is also hoped that MS will address this issue in future Office 2007 updates, but for now, IF YOU ARE USING OFFICE 2007 AND ARE SENDING ANY OFFICE DOCUMENTS TO OTHER PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE OFFICE 2007 INSTALLED SAVE THE FILE AS A SAVE AS A DOCUMENT CREATED IN OFFICE 97-2003 FORMAT. (Instead of Save) This changes to the conventional format of doc. that older versions can understand. Office 2007 I understand has a new file format when you do a conventional Save, that saves the file as docx, which older versions of Office may have trouble reading. To override this issue, when sending documents to other people, do a Save As and save the document in Doc format.

Jack

Last edited by Jack1000; 25-Apr-2007 at 02:52 AM..
Member with 17,584 posts.

25-Apr-2007, 03:02 AM #10
The fact that the original poster can open the file OK if opening it within Word 2007 suggests that old (version 6) files may not be involved though?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

25-Apr-2007, 12:21 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfin
Hi,

That process you explained is how file associations are changed in Windows XP. I am using vista. Folder options doesn't exist anymore. That is the 'old' way of doing things.

Do you have vista?

Thanks,

Gavin
True, but the link I gave in post #4 DID explain how to do so in Vista.
And as KiwiGuy says, since he is able to open things up in a round about way, why not just by clicking? Seems to strictly be an association problem.
Computer Specs

25-Apr-2007, 01:40 PM #12
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I did as you said. Updates were fully up to date and I then installed the compatibilty pack. Same thing. I just cannot double click a .doc icon and have word open it.

All the other posts regarding file associations etc just don't work. It won't allow winword.exe or WORD 2007 to be set as the default program for these files.

I think the compatability program is actuaklly more suited for Word 97 - 2003 users to allow them to open the new .docx files created in Word 2007.

I am so frustrated with this. it is so long winded to open Word 2007 then try and open the .doc file from there! arrrgh!

Gavin
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

25-Apr-2007, 02:57 PM #13
Okay, just to lay things out again. You probably know this all, but it make things clearer for me, and some things are just to sum up what has already been said.
1. The file(s) you cannot open by clicking on them were created in an earlier version of Word and do have a .doc extension (not .txt or .docx or .dot or .wpd or any other thing)
2. You are able to open other types of files or .docx files by just clicking on them (this is something you can adjust in Windows, so just to make sure you are set to do so).
3. You can open Word 2007, browse to the file and open it by selecting it. In the browse window, you have it set to show what - all Word documents, all files, all .doc....?
4. For some reason, when you have tried to set the file association to Word 2007, you cannot.
A question I now have is, do you still have another version of Word (say, 2003) on your computer?
Computer Specs

25-Apr-2007, 04:23 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by slurpee55
Okay, just to lay things out again. You probably know this all, but it make things clearer for me, and some things are just to sum up what has already been said.
1. The file(s) you cannot open by clicking on them were created in an earlier version of Word and do have a .doc extension (not .txt or .docx or .dot or .wpd or any other thing)
2. You are able to open other types of files or .docx files by just clicking on them (this is something you can adjust in Windows, so just to make sure you are set to do so).
3. You can open Word 2007, browse to the file and open it by selecting it. In the browse window, you have it set to show what - all Word documents, all files, all .doc....?
4. For some reason, when you have tried to set the file association to Word 2007, you cannot.
A question I now have is, do you still have another version of Word (say, 2003) on your computer?

Hi,

1. Correct - extension is .doc
2. Correct
3. Correct - and is set to open all word documents
4. Correct

I don't have the old office program on my pc now. When Office 2007 is installed, it upgrades the old office and removes it.

When I open Word 2007 and browse for the old .doc files, they open with no problem and it states at the top of the page 'compatability mode' as it does recognise that it is from the older Word 2003 program.

I really am at a loss!

Gavin
Member with 1,178 posts.

25-Apr-2007, 05:08 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfin
Hi,

1. Correct - extension is .doc
2. Correct
3. Correct - and is set to open all word documents
4. Correct

I don't have the old office program on my pc now. When Office 2007 is installed, it upgrades the old office and removes it.

When I open Word 2007 and browse for the old .doc files, they open with no problem and it states at the top of the page 'compatability mode' as it does recognise that it is from the older Word 2003 program.

I really am at a loss!

Gavin
What about Add/Remove programs? It you go to that list, ( I assume it is still called that in Vista, do you see any instances of Office 2003 on your system?) Sometimes the program says that it removes older versions when it updates, but often it does not.

What version of Office 2007 is this? Within this version is it an upgrade or a stand-alone?

Jack
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!