Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Keeping Excel Rows Together

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jul-2007, 12:57 PM #1
Keeping Excel Rows Together
I have an Excel spreadsheet that contains 2 rows for each record. For example, on row 1 in the person's name and the row underneath it is the project name. I want to use the autofilter and keep these 2 rows together when I filter. Can this be done? Or what is the best way to keep these 2 rows together?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
25-Jul-2007, 01:30 PM #2
Excel thinks of each row as a record. That being said you cannot have it group the two rows together for filtering purposes that I know of. What you could do is enable text wrapping and have it look like multiple rows, but in fact have it is as multiple lines within the cell. Can you post your Excel spreadsheet so I can take a gander at it. Make sure you know that I am gandering and not goosing.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
25-Jul-2007, 03:37 PM #3
You could concatenate the data together, and I am sure someone could write some VBA to pull it together even better (a column of concatenations will give you 1a 1b, 1b 2a, 2a 2b, 2b 3a, 3a 3b, 3b 4a, 4a 4b when all you want is 1a 1b, 2a 2b, 3a 3b, 4a 4b).
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 10:07 AM #4
The only issue that I would foresee would be that he/she will have with concatenation is that he is trying to apply filters to the data. When filtering Excel sees each row as a record and as such try to filter the second row as well. Why are you trying to put a second row of data below the first?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 10:23 AM #5
Well, actually, what I would do is do the concatenation. It would give me garbage on every other line but that could be dealt with several ways - the easiest (for me) would be to use ASAP Utilities ( http://www.asap-utilities.com/ ) free add-on for Excel to delete every 2nd row. Alternatively, you could number the rows, divide by 2, copy, paste special values on that column, do a text-to-columns on those numbers with it delimited by a period. This will give you a column with a blank beside each even number and a .5 beside each odd number. Then you could sort by the blank/.5 column or filter by it.
Once you got rid of the garbage data (I would delete after such a sort, if I didn't have ASAP) he is free to deal with his data however he wants.
OBP OBP is offline OBP is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 18,617 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 10:25 AM #6
I would Use Access!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 10:27 AM #7
I have to Agree with OBP on that one hehe. I thought about suggesting Access early on.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 10:41 AM #8
I am baffled here - how would Access be better?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 10:57 AM #9
If he/she had multiple datasets for each row and that is the reason why he was using multiple rows then he could setup a 1 to many relationship. I was only trying to visualize since I did not see a post with the actual spreadsheet.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 11:16 AM #10
I was assuming it was like this:
Name1
Project1
Name2
Project2
Member with 8,268 posts.

Experience: I bent my wookie :(
26-Jul-2007, 02:38 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcassell
I have an Excel spreadsheet that contains 2 rows for each record. For example, on row 1 in the person's name and the row underneath it is the project name. I want to use the autofilter and keep these 2 rows together when I filter. Can this be done? Or what is the best way to keep these 2 rows together?
There's no "best" way to do this, because your set-up goes entirely against what's generally considered to be a golden rule -- "1 row per record". You should seriously consider restructuring your data -- is there no way you can have (e.g.) "Project Name" as an additional field?

(That said, I have known projects where there really was no other way. If you can't restructure, try adding an extra field named (e.g.) "Filter", enter the project name in this in both rows of each "record". Then filter by that instead. But you'd also have to "double up" in any other fields you might need to filter by. )
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 02:47 PM #12
Sadly, sometimes I get samples for doing market research that are set up in this style (only worse Name, Address, City, State, Phone - all for one person and in cells one above the other in Excel and I have to clean that mess).
If there is a neat way to have Access extract this into various tables in a sensible fashion, I would love to see it!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 03:01 PM #13
Actually, assuming I am right about the layout in post 10, the ASAP utility I mentioned in post#5 will fix this; Get it and install it into your Excel.
Go to the utilities, click on format, go to Advanced Transposer. Have it convert from 1 column to 2 columns. It will change it to:
[Name1][Project1]
[Name2][Project2]
(I am using the [] to indicate cells)

I thought I had figured out a way around this before!

See a screenshot here: http://www.asap-utilities.com/asap-u...ilities=Format
Member with 8,268 posts.

Experience: I bent my wookie :(
26-Jul-2007, 03:10 PM #14
Only good for 1 column.
OBP OBP is offline OBP is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 18,617 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 03:13 PM #15
slurpee, I can provide you with the utility for post #12, either to do it in Excel or import it in to Access.
That is assuming that you can supply example data and it normally remains stable.

I still think that Databases should be in Access assuming that the user already has Access that is.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!