Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Excel Sheet Tabs

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Aug-2007, 05:47 PM #1
Stacking Excel Sheet Tabs
Is there a known way to stack sheet tabs in an excel spreadsheet, rather than have them all on one row?
I have 15 sheets where they all are categorized as one of three types. I would like to have them in three rows.
Is this possible?

Last edited by leehow; 15-Aug-2007 at 05:59 PM..
netquestor netquestor is offline netquestor has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: overloaded techie with too many interests
15-Aug-2007, 07:00 PM #2
As far as I know (and I've been a harcore Excel user since 2.0), there is no way to stack tabs in Excel. There are some things you can do to help though. One of the easiest is to color code the tabs and maintain your tabs in Groups and then place the tabs in order within category. It's not what you are looking for but once you do this, you may find that simply Right Clicking the small scrolling windows of the worksheet. That will pop up a list of all the tabs in the workbook.

As if adding yet another tab to the group would be an answer there is an app/script that you can add that automatically creates a Table of Contents listing the Tabs as hyperlinks ( http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Edit/1059.html ).

You could also change the appearance of the tabs themselves - but its limited to width/font size etc... but perhaps a combination of changes to the appearance will be enough.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Aug-2007, 10:23 AM #3
Stacking Excel Sheet Tabs
Hello Netquestor:

Thank you very much for the reply. The odd thing is, I would swear i've seen the sheet tabs stacked before, and of course didn't give it a second thought at the time.

I am trying to make my spreadsheet more user friendly for less experienced users. They sometimes forget there are more sheets to the right than what they see on the screen.

I will look into the "Table of Contents" idea.

Thanks again
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
16-Aug-2007, 01:54 PM #4
You could also check out www.asap-utilities.com. They have a free add-on for Excel that I find I use more and more. One thing it can do is automatically create a Table of COntents.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,434 posts.

Experience: I'ma learnin'!
16-Aug-2007, 04:50 PM #5
Here are a couple of additional TOC ideas...

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=120

I thought Stephen Bullen had some code for a Table of Contents, but I can't seem to find it now. But the two links above should get you going.

HTH
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!