Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Creating an email link in Excel

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Aug-2007, 06:50 PM #1
Creating an email link in Excel
This seems like it should be simple, but I don't have an answer. I want to create a link in an Excel spreadsheet that will go to and open a specific Outlook email message. I'm trying to track emails that have scanned documents attached and i want to be able to open them from the spreadsheet. How do I create that link in Excel? Thanks!

16-Aug-2007, 06:52 PM #2
Just a test response for my computer
Test! Junior member???? Humph!
Junior Member with 25 posts.

16-Aug-2007, 08:45 PM #3
Not really sure what you mean! Excel can't directly go into Outlook and open an email. You need to open the email and save it to another folder first. You can then hyperlink from Excel to where you saved the file. To do that, Right click on the Excel cell you want to contain the hyperlink, choose Hyperlink from the drop down menu and use the "Look in" box to navigate to the folder you saved it in, click on the document you want, then click "Ok". The text in the Excel cell will now be underlined and clicking on it will open the file. This may not be what you're trying to achieve, but from what you posted it's difficult to know. Are you simply trying to list emails that have scanned documents attached and using Excel to keep an index of them for easy navigation back to them?

17-Aug-2007, 01:11 PM #4
Yes, you figured correctly
Still working out some bugs in my system for doing that, but your response was a lot of help.

OBP OBP is offline OBP is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 18,517 posts.

18-Aug-2007, 11:50 AM #5
GreggR, you can use Excel VBA to manipulate Outlook, you should therefore (theoretically) be able to open an email.
You can certainly send one using VBA.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!