Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

error 1919, problem accessing help files in Office 2000

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

11-Dec-2001, 09:59 AM #1
error 1919, problem accessing help files in Office 2000
Hey folks,

I'm so glad I found this website. The Microsoft site is designed to keep questions AWAY. I can't even find an email address for a tech support person.

Any help you can give me will be MOST APPRECIATED...

I just purchased a new Gateway computer with Windows XPand MS Works 2001 installed on it. The problem started when I tried to install Office 2000 (which has Powerpoint on it) when 2001 was already installed.

In talking to Gateway (which was not much help), I learned that the 2 programs tend to share files and sometimes files get corrupted when you do this. I tried uninstalling both programs, then installing one only (both ways ó just Works 2001, and just office 2000) and Iím still experiencing the problem, no matter which version is installed. Iíve also downloaded all of the service packs for office 2000, and have gotten the version of Word on Office 2000 up to Word Sr-1 through installing the sr-1 patch, though I still get an error message when installing Sr-1. I canít even load "service pack 2" (their latest sp) because I get a series of error messages and the program fails to install.

The problem is this:

Every time I install either program (Works or Office), right near the end of the installation, I get an error message as follows:

"Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database, ODBC error 6: Component not found in the registry. Verify that the file MS Access Database exists and that you can access it."

I get three buttons, Cancel - Retry - Ignore. Cancel will cancel whatever it is trying to do. Retry keeps giving me the message, and Ignore will bring this box up about 6 more times before continuing. There are 7 error message in total, each with a different missing dat source.

The program finally installs. Then, I can bring up any component (Word, Powerpoint) just fine, until I try to use the help files. I then get a message that I need to insert the installation disk into my D drive. I do this, and I keep getting the same set of error messagesĖthis time, about 2 or 3 times.

b.t.w. .. Even tho it says to insert the installation cd whenever I try to access HELP in any program, I find that the CD doesnít need to be in the drive.

I can see that part of the help files are beginning to come up in the background. Each time I try to access a different level of the help file, I get the same message and must click IGNORE 7 times. Eventually, I get to use the entire help file. After this rigamarole, I can use the help file normally.

But if I terminate the program and open the program again, or if I close down help within a session, the whole process starts over again. This happens with ANY component of Office-- Powerpoint, Word, Etc.

Help!!!! Please. Iíve been to the microsoft website for hours, and error 1919 is discussed several times by different users, but: (a) the problem is not exactly like mine and (b) they seldom get a satisfactory resolution, and (c) you have to be a computer genius to interpret what youíre supposed to do.
Member with 9,082 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Dec-2001, 10:35 AM #2
Read the following I copied it from the TechNet. Is this what your experiencing?

SYMPTOMS
========

Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database, ODBC
error 11: Driver's ConfigDSN, ConfigDriver, or ConfigTranslator failed.
Verify that the file MS Access Database exists and that you can access it.

Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: dBASE Files, ODBC error 13:
Could not load the setup or translator library. Verify that the file dBASE
Files exists and that you can access it.

Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: Excel Files, ODBC error 13:
Could not load the setup or translator library. Verify that the file Excel
Files exists and that you can access it.

CAUSE
=====

This behavior can occur if there is a damaged or missing Open Database
Connectivity (ODBC) dynamic-link library (DLL) file.

RESOLUTION
==========

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Download and install Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.6.

NOTE: To download the most recent version of MDAC, browse to the following
Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm#251info

2. Restart your computer in Safe mode.

3. Insert your Office 2000 compact disc.

4. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

5. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.

6. Double-click the Office 2000 entry listed in the Add/Remove Programs
Properties dialog box.

7. Click Repair Office.

8. Click "Repair errors in my Office installation", and then click Finish.

MORE INFORMATION
================

The third-party products discussed in this article are manufactured by vendors
independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding
these products' performance or reliability.

Additional query words: OFF2000

======================================================================
Keywords : kberrmsg kbdta ocsso
Technology : kbOfficeSearch kbZNotKeyword6 _IKkbZNotKeyword4 kbOffice2000Search kbZNotKeyword5 kbOffice2000SetupSearch
Version : :
Issue type : kbprb
=========================================================================== ==
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 2001.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

12-Dec-2001, 09:39 AM #3
error 1919
Dear Mary,

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. unfortunately, I had already tried all of the "fixes" listed on the microsoft website but none worked. I'm working w/ Microsoft now (probably have a thousand dollar phone bill) and the problem is still not completely resolved, but getting better. I'll post the solution as soon as I have one.

One bit of advice. Microsoft said this problem is occurring w/ indidivuals who have purchased computers from OEM computer manufacturers (i.e., Gateway) and then try to install older programs like office 2000. The OEM companies do not install Windows in a typical fashion, but use an image, which they relay over the network. Thus, some ODBM files needed for programs like office are missing from the registry at the start. There's no way to simply "blip" the missing registry keys into the registry, but MS is trying to help me do something like this so that I don't have to completely "nuke" my hard drive and install Windows XP from the disk (which would restore the missing keys)....

A big headache.

Thanks again,

Susan
Senior Member with 941 posts.

12-Dec-2001, 01:53 PM #4
Tell me about it.
You're finding out (a little too late) the danger of getting an OS through an OEM, because they often reconfigure it. I've had to deal with Gateway's setup disasters more than once. Just one little tip: if you do have to reinstall, don't use the auto-run feature of the cd; there's usually a hidden windows directory on it that has everything you need, with just a little wrapper on top.

I feel your pain, sister. Let's all go over and see Microsoft with some hammers.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!