Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Naming column headings in Excel

(!)

Senior Member with 155 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Sep-2007, 01:21 PM #1
Solved: Naming column headings in Excel
Can I rename the column headings in Excel? I was able to insert the name of each column in the first row and then freeze that row which works for now but I would like to insert a name at each column heading so when the data base is printed I donít have that A,B,C column heading showing. I do want the row numbers printed though.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,238 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Sep-2007, 01:45 PM #2
I am using Excel 2003 for these instructions ...

In File -> Page Setup -> Sheet Tab there is an option to print the Row and Column headings. You do not have the option to select just row or just column headings. However you can always add a new column on the left side of the chart and autofill it with sequential numbers. Then uncheck the box for printing Row and Column headings.

08-Sep-2007, 02:07 PM #3
Thanks. I thought of doing that but I thought, just maybe, Excel would have a way to do it.

11-Sep-2007, 10:11 AM #4
Just a thought. Is it possible to rename the column headings? Such as "A" renamed to "whatever".
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,238 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Sep-2007, 11:32 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised Grain
Is it possible to rename the column headings? Such as "A" renamed to "whatever".
Not as far I know (which is somewhat limited ).

Is there any reason you don't want to put your "whatever" column headings in row #1 and then have them print on every page? If you go into the Sheet tab in Page Setup, you can select which rows and/or columns get repeated on each printed page.

11-Sep-2007, 11:43 AM #6
That's exactly what I have done. I inserted the column headings I want in row one and then froze that row to follow the scroll down to enable to see the headings as I scroll down. It's no big deal really. I'm an old man trying to keep the grey matter working. I believe in the old axium, "use it or loose it". Thank you anyway. I will use your advice and insert another row at the front of the database and using the frozen row and the new first column of numbers will accomplish what I'm after.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,419 posts.

Experience: I'ma learnin'!
11-Sep-2007, 01:25 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwozniak
Not as far I know (which is somewhat limited ).
Nope. No can do. You are correct.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!