Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Publisher 2007 - changing calendar dates

(!)

Member with 154 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Oct-2007, 07:16 PM #1
Publisher 2007 - changing calendar dates
If a “Calendar Design” (a “Design Gallery” object) is inserted into a Publisher 2002/2003 document, one can click on it to display a small “Wizard” icon at the bottom of the calendar. If you click on that icon, a display similar to a task pane is displayed, with a “Change date range” button. If you then click on that button, a dialog box is displayed that allows the date range (for example, from October 2007 to November 2007) to be changed for the calendar template that is already inserted into the document.

I opened a Publisher 2002 document using Publisher 2007. When I click on the calendar, no wizard is displayed.

Here are the instructions in the Publisher 2007 Help file:

1. Open the calendar publication that you want to update.
2. In the Format Publication task pane, under Calendar Options, click Change Template.
3. In the Change Template dialog box, under Options, click Set Calendar Dates.
4. In the Set Calendar Dates dialog box, enter new dates in Start date and End date.

There are problems with those instructions that lead me to conclude that it is no longer possible to use the “Change date range” feature without completely replacing the calendar template. If there is someone who can confirm—or correct—that conclusion, please let me know.

Here are the problems with the Help file instructions:

1. I don’t have a “calendar publication.” I have a publication with a calendar inserted.
2. There is no “Calendar Options” choice in the Format Publication task pane.
3. It is possible to get to a “Change date range” feature by selecting “Apply a new template” from the Format Publications task pane. However, even when I select the same calendar design as that already in the document, selecting a different date range results in a new publication being created just for the calendar, with a message that the new calendar will not fit in the publication.

I have searched the Microsoft knowledgebase and this forum without success. I have searched the Microsoft Publisher online help. There is one posting asking the very same question, but no response.

Again, my conclusion is that Microsoft has changed the way this feature works, and the operations of this feature in the two versions are incompatible. Does anybody have any information to the contrary?

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a 1.4 GHz Pentium M processor, 2 GB of RAM, running Win XP/Pro SP 2.

BTW, Publisher 2007 still does not have the capability to import graphics from a Word file, and the handling of formatting from a Word file has degraded compared to Publisher 2002/2003.
Member with 154 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Oct-2007, 12:58 PM #2
Angry Publisher 2007 - changing calendar dates - problem confirmed
"I have searched the Microsoft Publisher online help. There is one posting asking the very same question, but no response."

There is one response now, and here it is:

"I haven't used the Design Gallery in 2007, but I did when I read [the] post. The Wizard Wand is missing, not only on the calendar, but on all the Design Gallery elements. This is a major bug and I will report it [emphasis added]. Sorry, I can't give you a workaround. You could use the regular calendar templates and change the date range on those.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com"

There is no update available from Microsoft to fix this problem as of 10/12/2007
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!