Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Moving multiple pages in Publisher

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 251 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Dec-2007, 03:36 AM #1
Moving multiple pages in Publisher
I'm running Microsoft Publisher 2003 and find moving text and graphics horrendous. If I add text, the associated graphics wander from their original position and no longer associate with the original text. Is there some way to lock text and graphics?

Worse, there seems no way to move multiple pages. I can cut text (up to one page in length) and then paste it, but I can't find a way of moving multiple pages to another section of the manuscript as you can with Adobe's InDesign.

Thanks,

Mark
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 345 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Dec-2007, 04:23 PM #2
for the first part, do you mean text box + picture? then you type in the text box and the picture moves?
if so, you can simply group them together so that they retain their position in association with each other. Click the text box, hold Ctrl and click the picture. Right click and choose (Group) they will be as if they are one item. you can group as many objects as you want together.

For the second part. do you mean you want to (Cut) from multiple pages? or just move the page? If the latter, you can always select multiple pages from the bottom of the window, for example click page 2 hold Shift and click page 8 (to select pages from 2 to 8) or click page 2 hold Ctrl and click 8 (to select only page 2 and 8) then drag your selection to whatever position you want. The whole page will be moved.

I'm not aware of a way to select from multiple pages.
Computer Specs
Member with 251 posts.

03-Dec-2007, 07:45 PM #3
Thanks, you solved my first issue by indicating that grouping command.

For the second issue, I'm somewhat confused. If I wanted to cut several pages (in your example, pages 2-8) I would click page 2 hold Shift and click page 8? If so, that would solve my problem as I could paste those pages wherever I wanted them and thus move multiple pages.

On the bottom of your reply, however, you mention you aren't aware of any way to move multiple pages, so I must not be interpreting what you said correctly.

Regards,

Mark
Member with 2,222 posts.

04-Dec-2007, 12:38 AM #4
Publisher does seem pretty poor on reaaranging pages and I am not aware of any multiple page selection and move.
Some expert out there might prove otherwise.
However, on e of the techniques I use for moving a page (although not in the way you or I might think), is to do the following.

Take a note of the page you want to move e.g page2
Click on the page wheer you would like page 2 to be moved to.
Select the menu Insert, Page...
In the dialogue box type the number of pages you want to insert (should already be on 1)
Click on the before or after current page option
Under options, click on duplicate all objects on page and type 2
Click on OK
Your new page should have been inserted in the appropriate place with an identical of page 2.
Click on page 2 and delete it.

One of the other things I do is
If I want to use an object on a page to go into several other pages that I haven't designed yet, but am just going to do that,is
Click on the page that has the object
Click on the object I want to use
Hold the Ctrl key down and drag the object in to the gray area (scratchpad) which will put a copy of the object onto the scratchpad.
Each time I create a new blank page I can do the same from the scatch pad to the new page (Ctrl + Drag)

Obviously you can put quite a few objects into the scratchpad and if you save the file and everytime you open it, the objects will still be on the scratchpad. (If you are sending anything to the publishers, you need to make sure you have deleted all objects from the scatchpador you might get charged for them setting up those object and printing them).
I am not an expert by any means but just thought I would post my 2 penneth.
Computer Specs
Member with 251 posts.

04-Dec-2007, 02:10 AM #5
moving pages on Publisher
Thanks for your feedback.

It seems that while we can find some creative solutions to moving objects, there doesn't seem to be a way of multiple pages. I find that odd considering Microsoft should know one of the most important editing functions is moving material around easily. As I am writing a book, as new sections come into play and I want to insert, say a 13 page chapter somewhere else in the book, it becomes a user unfriendly process. At present, I'm forced to cut out each page, put it on the clipboard then insert each, one at a time. I can grow a beard by the time I'm finished.

The solution I'm coming up with is considering chuckiing Publsiher and buying Adobe Indesign as it easily moves pages and is more intuitive. I am assuming, of course, that I can export my Publisher files to InDesign without losing the formatting.

Thanks,

Mark
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 345 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Dec-2007, 05:29 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindy8
Thanks, you solved my first issue by indicating that grouping command.

For the second issue, I'm somewhat confused. If I wanted to cut several pages (in your example, pages 2-8) I would click page 2 hold Shift and click page 8? If so, that would solve my problem as I could paste those pages wherever I wanted them and thus move multiple pages.

On the bottom of your reply, however, you mention you aren't aware of any way to move multiple pages, so I must not be interpreting what you said correctly.

Regards,

Mark
Quote:
(I'm not aware of a way to select from multiple pages)
What I meant is that you cannot cut the (Contents) from several pages at the same time, like selecting text boxes and images... etc from multiple pages. But selecting the pages themselves (using either shift or control) and dragging them to the new location should do the trick.
Member with 2,222 posts.

04-Dec-2007, 05:48 AM #7
Mark
Although I haven't used Indesign, I think Publisher & Indesign are like chalk and cheese. Publisher cannot compete. Publisher is Mickey Mouse.

Having said that, I wpould certainly be very wary of being able to successfuly convert to Indesign. Have a look at this link http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...2767&sliceId=1 and talk with Adobe before buying.

Some questions.
Are you a desktop publisher by trade? This is a very important issue, as Indesign I think, will take quite a bit of getting used to if not. So there might be a heavy learning curve. I guess it depends on how complex your work is. My concern is understanding the background to how Indesign works. However its got to be superior to Publisher.

Would the cost of Indesign and possible training be worth it for the time you save in the future? You are already losing valuable time so I suppose you will soon pull back the savings. However, why did you start in Publisher in the first place. Was it to do with affordabilty?

From information that I have gleened over the years from users, is taht Adobe products are far better using the Mac. Most IBM compatible machine software from Adobe has to be converted and therefore may not work as well or is one or two version behind the Mac version. That may not be the case these days, but maybe somebody on here would know better.

It might be worth starting a new thread entitled something like "Help needed on the best DTP packages on the Market and why"

It just might encourage more responses.
Computer Specs
Member with 251 posts.

10-Dec-2007, 12:13 AM #8
Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea that Publisher and Indesign were so incompatible. The irritating thing about this is that I would have to buy PageMaker simply to get access to the conversion utiility to Indesign. I'll probably limp along with Publisher through the completion of this book then buy Indesign for future, similiar projects. However, I'm simply amazed that Microsoft never considered that writers may need to move multiple pages in a manuscript in a user friendly way.

Mark
Computer Specs
Member with 251 posts.

10-Dec-2007, 12:26 AM #9
Thanks for your detailed response. I answered your message when I got to the part about InDesign being incompatible with Publisher, but didn't address your other comments there.

Specifically, I've never worked with an illustrator before, so there was no need to use more than Word. Unfortunately, The Writer's Market never talks about programs used for creating manuscripts, only how the final copy is to be received. I started this project innocently, never assuming a Microsoft product wouldn't move multiple pages easily. In retrospect, I should have done more homework.

Thanks,

Mark
Member with 2,222 posts.

10-Dec-2007, 07:40 AM #10
Well good luck for the future.
If you feel that this thread is exhausted can you go to the top of the thread and click on the option "Thread Tools" and on the drop down menu, click on Solved.
Computer Specs
Member with 251 posts.

23-Dec-2007, 06:34 PM #11
I'm now starting to edit my book and have reviewed the post you sent in June 2007. It's possible there's something wrong with my edition of Publisher 2002 because I just tried to follow your advice regarding moving pages. I went to the Page Navigation bar on the bottom looking move pages 10 and 11 to where page 14 is. I created blank pages with text boxes from pages 14-19. I then clicked on page 10 held the shift key down and clicked on page 11. Holding the left mouse button down, I tried to drag this selection to page 14. Nothing moved nor was there any change in the cursor or any way to indicate anything was happening. Page 14 remained blank and pages 10 and 11 remained where they were.

So at this point, the only way I can move pages is by creating a new page, cutting the old page out and pasting it in the new page. This is a nightmare because I have groups of pages I need to move around as I edit and apparently can't.

The other concern I had is that you advised me to group objects when I move pages so they hold their position on the page. When I go to the Objects toolbar and click on the select objects tool, nothing happens nor does the Group command icon appear on the bottom. I'm also not able to click on an object then right click to get the group command.

This is very perplexing and I suspect there may be a problem with my program.

Thanks for your feedback,

Mark
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

23-Dec-2007, 08:24 PM #12
I've been following this string from the beginning, and I keep wondering why you chose Publisher instead of Word to write a book? I'm a published writer (many times over) and always use Word BECAUSE it is user friendly and easily edited. I do use Publisher for newsletters, posters, greeting cards, business cards, etc. Just curious....
Computer Specs
Member with 251 posts.

25-Dec-2007, 09:30 PM #13
moving pages in Publisher
I would have used Word as well but I'm writing a satire of network marketing along with a top illustrator who is doing the graphics. The problem is that the graphics need to be set inline to the text neatly and Word doesn't do that.

When I started this project, Writer's Market never indicated what programs worked best, only how to submit the final manuscript.

Since that time, I have learned that Adobe InDesign is the program to use but, unfortunately, Publisher doesn't export to Indesign and I would have to buy Page Maker as well to facilitate the export.

Regards,

Mark
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!