Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Word: Cannot select picture behind text

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Feb-2008, 05:20 AM #1
Solved: Word: Cannot select picture behind text
I'm sure this is very simple, but while creating a flyer in Word 2003, I have told my picture(s) to be behind the text. I now need to move one of them slightly, but cannot select it. When I click on it, I get a text editor cursor in the text which is over the image.

Jim
Computer Specs
Member with 1,012 posts.

24-Feb-2008, 10:09 PM #2
Perhaps you need to move the picture(s) forward in order to edit them. Try that.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
24-Feb-2008, 10:36 PM #3
This is quite annoying, but it works. In your document, go to Normal view. Be sure that you have the Picture toolbar available (click on any toolbar and select Picture from the options). Highlight and select all the text that is overlying your picture. Go to the Picture toolbar and click on the Text Box icon. The text you have chosen will now be in a separate box and the picture will be off to the side or below.
Click on your picture and format the picture's layout to inline with text or some other option besides behind text.
Now, highlight the text that is in the textbox and cut it and paste it back into the document where you want it. Click on the now empty textbox and cut it to get rid of it.
Depending on how you have formatted your picture, it will now have the text flow around it - you might try different choices to see which you prefer.
Computer Specs
Member with 255 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Feb-2008, 05:07 AM #4
If you don't have the drawing toolbar visible View > Toolbars > Drawing

Choose the Arrow tool, select the picture!
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

25-Feb-2008, 05:33 AM #5
Sorted - Word: cannot select picture behind text
Thanks; the real, easy, solution was to choose the arrow tool - I'm not very au fait with Word, being a desktop publisher and being used to infinitely manageable teext wrap, etc.

Thanks again,

Jim
Computer Specs
Member with 255 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Feb-2008, 05:40 AM #6
Glad it helped!

John
Computer Specs
Member with 4,175 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
25-Feb-2008, 12:02 PM #7
Good Job John. I was reading the post and I was just about to post the same thing about the "Select Objects" button. For anyone searching the post and they cannot select the image to move it you might have a printed watermark background setup instead. To change it go to "Format">>"Background">>"Printed Watermark."

Muse can you please mark the thread as solved via the "Thread tools" drop-down list at the top of the post?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!