Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Survey Monkey

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Mar-2008, 09:14 PM #1
Solved: Survey Monkey
More and more organizations are using Survey Monkey to gather information. When I click the URL and go to the survey form, I can't figure out how to enter my replies!!! Usually there are several choices (without a box or other place to click) and then MAYBE a larger box where you can type in *other* responses. That is the only place I can type anything at all! I went to Survey Monkey's home page and found no help at all for my problem. None of the groups using Survey Monkey seem to understand my problem, as each individual I've spoken with has been able to use it quite easily. I'm not stupid, but I'm stumped! Any suggestions?
Member with 4,694 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Mar-2008, 07:16 AM #2
I'm not sure if I quite understand your problem. Maybe all the web page components are not loading properly due to some security limitations such as disabled scripting??? Try reloading the page after disabling your firewall and/or anti-virus temporarily to see if it has an effect. I would also recommend trying a different browser such as Firefox if you haven't done so already.

Regards,
Rollin
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

31-Mar-2008, 10:19 AM #3
I really don't want another browser, since I must use IE for MS downloads, but I'll try your other suggestions and report back. Thanks, Rollin.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

31-Mar-2008, 10:26 PM #4
OK, I turned off McAfee's virus checker and fire wall, and then checked my IE7 security setting, which is Medium. Tried Survey Monkey again -- same result. I can't get it to accept anything I try, except typing in the special boxes. Other people are successful using IE, so I don't think that's the problem. Any more ideas I can try?
Member with 4,694 posts.

01-Apr-2008, 06:57 AM #5
Can you take a screen shot to show us exactly what is happening? I am still having a hard time visualizing what the problem is.

Regards,
Rollin
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

01-Apr-2008, 11:06 AM #6
I tried to copy a part that shows the normal questions that I can't answer and the *other* area where I can type replies. The *little hand* shows up when my cursor is anywhere in the question areas, but nothing happens when I left click or right click or double left or right click, other than to highlight the word I clicked (but it does nothing!!!). Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Survey Monkey-survey-monkey-form.jpg  
Member with 4,694 posts.

01-Apr-2008, 04:14 PM #7
Try resetting your IE settings back to the defaults or lowering the security level to see if that helps. You may also want to disable your IE add-ons under the TOOLS menu (one by one) to see if some add-on is causing the problem.

Regards,
Rollin
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

01-Apr-2008, 10:56 PM #8
I listed Survey Monkey as a Trusted Site, removed my few add ons one at a time, closing IE and trying again after each change. Nada. I still can't fill out the survey form. Grrrr!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

16-Apr-2008, 07:44 PM #9
Just got another survey. *sigh* Someone suggested that my Java script might not be properly loaded or out of date or whatever. I went to the Java Web site and downloaded the current version (which I already had installed) and tried again. Still no joy. Surely there must be some way to utilize the Survey Monkey form that I haven't tried! Any more ideas?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,015 posts.

16-Apr-2008, 08:23 PM #10
Just search the Survey Monkey site again, and found the following in FAQs: Why can I see the questions but there are no buttons visible to select an answer choice? THIS IS MY EXACT PROBLEM!!! I had already added their main URL to my Trusted Sites, and now I have typed all the subdomains in as well. Went back to the survey -- no joy. Still no boxes to click in to record my answer. Help!!!
Member with 4,694 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 08:18 AM #11
Are you accessing the site from behind a router? If so, bypass the router completely and try to connect while hooked directly to the modem.

I know you want to use IE as your browser but at some point you are going to have to try a different browser such as Mozilla so that we can try to narrow the problems down further. Are you able access and complete the surveys using a different browser? Are you able to access and complete the survey from a different PC on the same network? We need more details.

I assume you've deleted all your temp files and cookies? Your browser should also be configured to check for new versions of the stored pages on "every visit" to the page. See attached pic.

Regards,
Rollin
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Survey Monkey-every-visit.jpg  
Junior Member with 1 posts.

20-May-2008, 11:45 AM #12
I'm having the same problem with one of my users. Anybody have any other ideas?
thanks!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

20-May-2008, 12:13 PM #13
SurveyMonkey buttons not visible
Hello All,

This is Colby from SurveyMonkey. I thought I would pass along some information to you guys if you are experiencing some issues with not seeing buttons visible next to answer choices.

Organizations may have tricky or strict network settings on your browsers. Because of this, you may need to get an IT person at your organization involved to see how your network has been set up.

If you open the survey and you see the questions and answer choices but the buttons are not visible next to them or you can't type in answer choices, then you may need to consider the following:

1.) Is your computer or network restricting access to certain sites?

If the user is behind a firewall that blocks access to all traffic except for certain domains and the network has granted access to www.surveymonkey.com, the administrators of that network will have to either allow all subdomains of surveymonkey.com or explicitly add:

surveymonkey.com
images.surveymonkey.com
styles.surveymonkey.com
scripts.surveymonkey.com
secure.surveymonkey.com
www.surveymonkey.com
smonkey.surveymonkey.com

In order for the site to function correctly.

2.) Also, take a look at what browser version you are using.

Try testing the survey through a different browser to see if the problem is browser-specific. You may want to try firefox (it's free!):
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

If you are using Safari, upgrading to the most recent version may solve the problem:
http://www.apple.com/safari/

3.) One final step to try is clearing your cookies and cache and then access the survey again.

- In order to clear your cookies, please select the Tools option from your browser's menu bar.
- Next select Internet Options. Clear our cookies located under the General tab in this prompt.
- Finally close all of your open browsers. Open a fresh browser and try the survey again.

For additional browser types and clearing cookies:
http://www.aboutcookies.org/Default.aspx?page=2

To clear your cache:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/helpcent...spx?HelpID=342

Are you accessing the survey while at work?

If clearing your cache does not solve the issue, it may be possible that your cached files are not stored on your local computer, but rather on a proxy server or other location. Please contact your IT department and ask them if this might be the case.

Hope this helps!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
20-May-2008, 12:55 PM #14
The people at survey monkey may not like this, but try clicking on the Page button at the top of IE and go to View source. If you want to email me the code as a text file, I will go over it and see if I can find any errors that would cause the buttons to be disabled.
I will send you my email as a message.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
20-May-2008, 02:30 PM #15
I looked at the sample questions at Survey Monkey and they are written in Javascript. Do you have javascript enabled - or more specifically, are you running some security software that blocks javascript?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!