Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My excel file is too big.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Apr-2008, 11:20 AM #1
My excel file is too big.
I have a single sheet doc, w/ many formulas, bold fonts and color.
the thing is 37.5 MB!
wow!

I zipped it for emailing and got it down to, 5.12mb
which is still to hard to send!

Does anyone know why It is So big

help, my boss is going to kill me...if I don't get this to him...

I saw another thread on here, but it did not fix my problem.
Member with 2,226 posts.

15-Apr-2008, 11:40 AM #2
Do you know the last row and column in the spreadsheet that should have data in (the active part of the spreadsheet.

If so, Hold the Ctrl key down on your keyboard and press the End key once on your keyboard and then let the Ctrl key go. This should take you to the last active cell in the spreadsheet.

What is the cell reference that the cell pointer has gone to ?

If the cell pointer goes to where you expected, then no problem.

However, lets say you expected the last cell to be V200 but the cell pointer goes to IV2000, then that may be part of the problem.

What I would do in this situation, is select all the columns from W to IV and delete the columns and then select row 201 to 65536 (if that is the last row in your spreadsheet) and delete all those rows.

Having done that Save As and give the file a new name and save it and close the file.

Then open the file with the new name and do a Ctrl + End to see if the cell pointer goes to V200.
If it does, then you have reduced the size of the file.

It may well be that it is not the complete solution, but at that point, you will not have eronious data in parts of the spreadsheet you didn't expect.

Anyway have a go at that, and see if it makes any difference and come back to the thread and let us know. Then we can go further.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!