Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bigfoot.com email forwarding not working - please Help

(!)

Member with 183 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Aug-2008, 06:40 AM #1
Bigfoot.com email forwarding not working - please Help
Dear Techguys,

I hope this is the right forum for this post, please forgive me if not for I could not find a more appropriate one when I looked just now.

My problem is I use bigfoot.com as a forwarding email service - it has been brilliant for years and protected my real email address and made it so easy to transfer isp with no loss of emails and so forth.

The bad news though.....

Now, for the past week my email has not been arriving!

I've looked on the web and there seems to be a problem with bigfoot but I can't be sure.

Here is a link with frustration of a few others:

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...essageID=34367

It's a UK forum but the problem seems to be widespread.

I don't know if my emails are being bounced [I tried to email myself but get nothing back if i sent to my bigfoot email address]

Are the emails lost forever or will they "eventually" arrive.

One of the posts talks about bigfoot upgrading its servers.

I don't know if spammers are causing bigfoot to get blocked on various email servers or what.

This is a real "strain" as the days go by but I can't seem to find a bigfoot user group that is tackling the problem etc.

I CAN NOT just switch to another email supplier service as ther amount I have invested giving contacts at business and others with my lifetime bigfoot address is immense.

Any help guidance appreciated.

I can not get replies from bigfoot help other than an elecrreonic reponse and there seems to be no human I can contact.

I guess I feel totally isolated!

Thanks once again for any help.

Kind regards

Mike
Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2008, 11:59 AM #2
Hi, same problem Mike only I have received a few mails. Have seen this before and your mail may be lost for ever.

I will post if I find anything out.
Member with 183 posts.

08-Aug-2008, 12:32 PM #3
thanks njtom - at least it seems I am not alone!

the real frustrating thing is bigfoot not coming out and communicating with customers - it would be easier to bear if they had a notice on their web site at least saying "what" was happening etc.

I ve been with them for years - many years - but now I am off, this is the last straw.

Real problem to switch though as over the years I have invested all my contacts using the bigfoot tag!

REALLY worrying what happens to emails too - you make the point they may be lost forever but does anyone have any idea where these things end up - are they chewed up and deleted or can someone intercept them?

All in all quite alarming that its now a week and still not end in sight

thanks again, I too will post with any developments

08-Aug-2008, 01:37 PM #4
Mike,

I am exactly in the same boat, been with them for years. I read through the UK thread and they too are having the same issues. Bigfoot is like the government. I never see them admit anything. I tried to send a support email and it failed because the server was down. I immediately sent again and it went through. I asked them to reply to gmail.

Worse I forgot my damn password since I never log in to them and I am on a business trip and cannot access my home machine to look up the password.

I am with you I am leaving Bigfoot even if it takes me a year. Too many email addresses as it is.

Keep me up in your loop and I will do the same.

Tom
Member with 183 posts.

08-Aug-2008, 04:36 PM #5
Tom,

I couldn't help thinking/mulling over about your dilemma being away on a business trip and unable to access the account.

I've come up with something that I have tested, and it works;

Try logging into your account - enter your user name [eg, tom123@bigfoot.com] then enter a password - any password! - bigfoot will tell you it is wrong and then...then it will give you the option of "forgot password?"

If you click that option it will then give you option to have your password forwarded to you.

The good news is despite bigfoot server/email problems that when I tested this just now for you the via the password forgotten option bigfoot forwarded my password to me within seconds!

Hence you CAN access bigfoot right now!

The other things I thought you may want to consider - you could try putting an auto respond on your bigfoot account and in that message you could give receipients another email address to contact you - such as an emergency googlemail account you could set up right now away from home etc. I don't know if it will work in the current situation but at least your conscience will be clear you have done all you can etc and make it easier to bear whilst you are on your trip.

Hope this helps.

Bad news otherwise - no improvement in bigfoot forwarding emails generally and I'm now into day 8 without many emails at all getting through just the odd one.

Hopefully the weekend will bring better news.

Hope the above is of help to you whilst you are away.

Mike

08-Aug-2008, 08:28 PM #6
Big Foot Mess
Thanks for the suggestions. I already have a Gmail account so that part is easy. I tried getting my password mailed since I forgot it and I have yet to get that mail. Without the password I am up the creek etc.

Let's hope they fix this. Actually, to really rub salt in I pay extra for the special handling. So much for paying more.

Hang in there, this has got to improve.

Tom

08-Aug-2008, 08:35 PM #7
Mike,

More info. I just checked my forwarded account. I sent out a reply from their webmail and sent myself a copy to bigfoot. It came back with a message that the message cannot be delivered. Now I know where our mail is. Back at the senders postoffice.

My ISP email will retry to send for 5 days. I sure hope they all try that long.

Come Monday its torches and pitch forks up the hill to Bigfoot.

Enjoy your weekend.

This could be worse, they could be using the USPS.
Member with 183 posts.

09-Aug-2008, 03:03 AM #8
Hi Tom,

I hope you received the bigfoot password ok - I ran the test again a few moments ago and bigfoot emailed it to me again within seconds.

Interested to her you got a "bounce" reply thatt your email couldn't get through to bigfoot - for every time I try that kind of thing nothing happens so as far as people sending me emails is concerned they will have no reason to think I have not received them. I've tried doing this self test from other email accounts with family members using their hotmail accounts or gmail etc and never get the bounce back - so just be aware not all your customers will perhaps know you are not getting their emails.

Its easy I guess for all of us to get upset and blame bigfoot - they have had problems in teh past and always got things moving including sending the backlog eventually - but this time it does "feel" different" - I live in europe and overnight not one single email has got through to me [there have been odd ones each day but nothing like the volume I know I get each day]. Somehow it feels like bigfoot are struggling in a way I've not seen before for no emails sent to them are even being replied to for the lalst 48 hours either - maybe I m now on their blacklist for having emailed progressively over the week whe not getting any replies!

Moving from them though is still fraught with problems for in the heat of hte moment I don't want to undertake such a massive task - and the whole continuity and relationship with others based on bigfoot's lifetime email concept will be shattered.

If only they would come clean, post a bulletin to say we are in a hole but scrambling to get it fixed and up and running again by x - even if x was another 10 days at least I'd know the situation!

I've seen reference on another web site to a telephone number but I dont know its worth or validation -you may want to give it a try but I have and its answerphone as I guess its now the weekend - more frustration; 1 866 300 7155

09-Aug-2008, 01:02 PM #9
Mike,

I also tried a second email to myself from Gmail and no response.
Unless these guys fell victim to the DNS issue they may have hardware issues. My big problem is that there are a lot of forum comments and Bigfoot does not even post a message.

I never received the password which is also an issue for me since I cannot post anything using their webmail issue.

Let's see what happens on Monday, you may know before me due to our time difference. Hope they contact you or fix this.

Tom
Junior Member with 3 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 09:21 AM #10
I want to add my support to this thread. I too have suffered over a week with a few email trickling through, no pattern reconised. Some test emails have got through, some hoave 'expired' and some have been returned with suggestions that i look up bigfoot email servers with blocking sites like OSDL.

I was encouraged by a response i recieved soon after complianing. A case number was included in the email, but i have sent mail headers to them 4 days ago without reply.

I too will seriously look to move my 'free' account away from them when this debacle is sorted out.

Looks like you get even less for free nowadays!!

10-Aug-2008, 10:35 AM #11
Mike and Mike,

I just opened my Gmail mail and received the stock response with a case number. I also finally located my password in an old email from Bigfoot in 2007. I knew there was a reason for saving all that old mail.
Here is my story and it is a repeat of something that happened over a year ago. Then as now I started to experience no email. When I checked my account they told me that unless I accepted opt in for the free account I could not receive email. Well, I had a premium account as I do now. So I wrote them received a reply and they fixed the problem. Well it looks like they repeated my problem So tomorrow I will try to locate a phone number and try to straighten this out. In the mean time I selected opt in and sent another test message. I am still waiting for that reply.

I really believe many people worldwide are having this problem. The BT UK thread seems like quite a few users are having this as well.

Thanks for adding your comments Mikerog, stay in the thread and by next week this should sort out I hope.

I think I am going to use Google Mail, I have had an account since they were beta and you can forward from them as well.

Regards,

Tom
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 01:25 PM #12
I have used Bigfoot since about 1996.
Over the past four days some test e-mails have bounced quickly and others go unanswered.
I too wish Bigfoot would announce what is happening.
Member with 183 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 02:54 PM #13
Hi,

Strangely enough, I'm now calming down - I don't know if its that its a Sunday or what I have seen on world news headlines re latest wars/conflicts or what. It could be that I have an email now from bigfoot actually apologising!

Whatever - the big picture, if I can see it, is that for almost 10 years I guess I am had my bigfoot account - sure there have been problems in the past but this takes the biscuit as the worst outage by far and all with no explanation or time scale for actions so no wonder we are all damned annoyed.

But hey, some poor sod at bigfoot, some engineer will be working his butt off and getting no credit, and meanwhile people in the world are losing family, friends or whatever in bloodshed in Georgia etc.

I "think" I am going to grit my teeth and stick with bigfoot after all - one big letdown in 10 years is not as bad as some others have experienced - point is i could move and have endless stress moving to another provider but there is no sure holy grail out there when it comes to email/internet or whatever.

I think this problem will get fixed soon, its just a gut reaction for management at the company will know the boards on the web are filling up with critical comment of this damaged brand - that is what it is right now - but "if" the emails start flowing again in the next few days then I think I will not rush and change provider as I'd earlier said.

For the first time, over the weekend, I am getting "some" old emails through - all irregular and no pattern to it - but I recall thankfully last time bigfoot had a hitch that in the end everything did come through, albeit late of course.

Trouble is, I guess I have "invested" so much with the bigfoot email address that absolutely everyone I contact knows they can "forever" contact me via it - and that is a real powerful reason to bite my lip and stick with it regardless ofo the current "sh*t" we are gettting from them.

Of all the things I wish bigfoot would do would be something so simple and basic and manly; just post a web bulletin on their home page, apologise, tell us honestly what is being done and when it will be fixed etc - just straight talking iswhat we most want from bigfoot right now!

If things aren't flowing by the end of this new week i am going to look pretty stupid staying I guess - LOL!

Cheers!
Member with 183 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 03:01 PM #14
This is a quick non-scientific test;

Are there any traits about the bigfoot account holders affected that match?

Free or paid account with bigfoot?

USA, UK, Europe, Asia or where registered?

My answers: fee paying bigfoot account/UK registered

Mike

10-Aug-2008, 06:39 PM #15
Mike,

I just arrived home. Well in the scheme of things this is small considering your post.

I too have a lot of time invested into the account but I also have 3 other email accounts so not every piece of my mail goes to bigfoot, only about 85%. To add to my fun my MacBook Pro power supply is acting up and going on and off.

As for looking for a pattern, I thought I was paying them, then I got the information when I logged on that they don't think I am. My problem is this is exactly how my last problem developed. They actually communicated with me and got it fixed.

See you back here soon. Have a good week. BTW where are you in Europe. I am in New Jersey.

Regards,

Tom

So tomorrow I will try to get through to them. Tonight I will send another email and include the bounce back message that may help them figure this out. The bounce back shows about eight different mail servers before it failed and bounced.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!