Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: MS Outlook 2007 customize & red x

(!)

Member with 239 posts.

Experience: Beginner/Intermediate
21-Aug-2008, 11:58 AM #31
[I]YEESCH !!!!!! I think I am giving up computers for life!

I'll chew on this. I think I will try a couple of things before reinstalling 2007, but if they don't work, I'll get back to it later on. Thanks for finding it!/I]
Moderator with 13,726 posts.

21-Aug-2008, 03:40 PM #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabyte View Post
YEESCH !!!!!! I think I am giving up computers for life!

I'll chew on this. I think I will try a couple of things before reinstalling 2007, but if they don't work, I'll get back to it later on. Thanks for finding it!
I posted the easy part.

I was reading this thread about Self-Defense in Avast:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34449.0
Member with 239 posts.

22-Aug-2008, 04:06 AM #33
Last night, after reading your post #30 again, I thought I would try a system restore in safe mode and it worked! This morning after your last post, I now know why. Thanks again.

I am now going to back up all and reinstall.

I am afraid to see the next part.........................!

22-Aug-2008, 04:15 AM #34
Remember what it said about using System Restore in Safe Mode, unless you create a System Restore point before you do that, there is no Undo Restore point created.

Now that you have used a System Restore point, does Office 2007 show as installed, again?
Member with 239 posts.

22-Aug-2008, 07:16 AM #35
Sorry, I have not uninstalled it yet. I wanted to back up first, but you will never guess................................ANOTHER problem:

I cannot back up .pst files. "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Data verification failed"

The path is the same as usual, but I guess because of the new profiles, it has added new files. I tried to delete some, but could not. So, I removed all but the original Profile. All of the files are still in Outlook and still cannot be deleted.

No backup, so I might take it to the shop to have them do it unless I hear from you
Member with 239 posts.

22-Aug-2008, 11:23 AM #36
Phew....just came back from shop. I backup with Nero which did not work (something about conflicts?). He showed me how to backup through Outlook, which I did not really want to do just in case there was something hidden which would effect the new installation of 2007, but at least it backedup correctly.
Now I can continue to do everything else and will get back to you.

22-Aug-2008, 12:33 PM #37
Making a copy of the .pst file(s) wouldn't work?
Member with 239 posts.

22-Aug-2008, 01:58 PM #38
Copy of .pst files the way I do it with Nero would not. It said: "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Data verification failed" The way the shop did it through import/export in Outlook did work.

Just when you thought you were going to have a nice leisurely weekend, I have another problem!!!!

Everything is now backed up and I am feeling great. So, I went to add/remove and tried to remove 2007. Hah! I clicked on remove and got: "This product installation has been corrupted. Run setup again from the CD, DVD or other original installation source."

I did a quick search and found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us

I am NOT a computer guru and I feel overwehlmend by all of this.

22-Aug-2008, 03:56 PM #39
Try reinstalling Office 2007 over itself, then see if it will uninstall.

If a file refuses to copy, then shut down the program using it, namely Outlook 2007.
If Outlook 2007 is shut down, restart the computer then immediately try to copy the .pst file.
Member with 239 posts.

23-Aug-2008, 11:29 AM #40
You are on the highest pedestal that I could find! IT WORKED!!!!

Pure genius!!!!!!!!!!!

I can now see what Outlook is supposed to look like. AND this is the first time ever that I can sort out my contacts to the way I want them. It used to be everytime I opened a contact or if I clicked on 'To' to add an address to my email, that Outlook did it's own thing and just scrambled my display names.

I still have the one issue of my emails not sending/receiving properly, but EAFielding, I will let you off the hook and start a new thread.

Thank you so much!

23-Aug-2008, 03:04 PM #41
Yay! I am so happy for you.

Mark this thread Solved.

Remember you already have a thread started for your Yahoo Send/Receive problem here:
http://forums.techguy.org/business-a...ive-yahoo.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
.pst, .pst file, customize, outlook, outlook 2007, profile, pst, pst file, system restore

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!