Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

keeping VPN connection alive after logoff

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2,907 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
18-Aug-2008, 08:30 PM #1
keeping VPN connection alive after logoff
I am running Vista with the Nortel Contivity client, version 6.07, and I am trying to get it to stay connected after I log off, so I can logon as a different user and stay connected to the VPN.

I know with previous versions (that aren't Vista compatible), the VPN software gives you the option to "install as a service", but I wasn't given that option with this version.

Is there any way to configure the software to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,780 posts.

26-Aug-2008, 02:29 PM #2
I'm thinking the security of a VPN would be comprimised if the CON stayed up regardless of who logged on to the pc? As a work around perhaps, once you establish the VPN you can remote to another pc and log on as a different user.

Used this at one job where 'admin' was not allow to VPN as a security precaution...but sometimes the admin login was needed to fix stuff.

I think you could also establish a 'firewall VPN' then different users could logon to the PC which goes to your network through the firewall?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,907 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
28-Aug-2008, 12:13 AM #3
Well, some VPN software packages allow you to "install as a service", meaning it won't kick you off if you log off, or it will make the VPN connection FIRST, and then authenticate to the domain. This is very helpful for those who need to have their login script run or to map drives when they are working remotely.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!