Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Reinstalling Office 2007 - how to?

(!)

Member with 84 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Nov-2008, 06:39 AM #1
Reinstalling Office 2007 - how to?
Hi,

I am about to reformat my HD, ditching Vista for XP (hooray!) and then will try to reinstall all my copy of MS Office 2007. This is a genuine version, and I have the product key, etc.

However, the product has been activated online, and I am wondering if I am going to have any trouble reactivating it. I have searched online and haven't found any definitive responses. Interestingly but not surprisingly, very little on the subject from Microsoft itself.

Is there a procedure I need to do, to make this whole thing easier? Should I copy any files from the Office folder before I delete everything?

I'm sure a proper procedure for doing this would benefit more people than just me, as this must be a common issue.

Best regards,

Peter
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,152 posts.

08-Nov-2008, 06:57 AM #2
Quote:
I am about to reformat my HD, ditching Vista for XP (hooray!)
Make sure you can get all the drivers for your machine under XP - theres a lot of threads where people change a vista machine to XP and then they cannot get the drivers
Make a note of all the hardware device on the PC
belarc.com is a good program to identify all the hardware
Member with 84 posts.

08-Nov-2008, 07:07 AM #3
Hi,

Thanks! I am worried about that... I found this page and downloaded all the drivers... just hope it works.... a bit worried I must confess!
Member with 4,694 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Nov-2008, 08:00 AM #4
I would contact Microsoft and tell them the situation to see if a new key would need to be issued.

I assume that you have recovery disks for the original OS in case something goes wrong with your XP install? Does your existing HD have a hidden recovery partition or did they provide you with actual CD's?

Regards,
Rollin
Member with 84 posts.

08-Nov-2008, 08:59 AM #5
My original OS is Vista, which came installed with the computer. They didn't give me any disks at all! Could you tell me how I can find out if my HD has a hidden recovery partition?

I imagine contacting Microsoft would be a pain, probably have to wait in a queue system in Bangalore for hours... but I will give it a go on Monday (doubt they would be open on weekends!)
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,152 posts.

08-Nov-2008, 09:07 AM #6
Quote:
They didn't give me any disks at all! Could you tell me how I can find out if my HD has a hidden recovery partition?
whats the make and model of PC
some manufacturers give you the option to create your own DVD /CD restore file
and/or have a hidden partition which you can access via a special key on booting
some HPs are F10
some toshibas are F8 - advance menu
H)P also have a prograsm installed to allow you to make a recovery set of CD/DVD (twoDVDs I think - but lots more CDs)
[b]YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS ONCE[b]
Perkie_up Perkie_up is offline Perkie_up has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

08-Nov-2008, 11:10 PM #7
If the Office is a install from a disk set you bought you can have it on two working computers, a notebook and a PC, if it was a trial version that came with your system, and you paid for the activation, you have to contact Microsoft and tell the myou paid for the product from a pre-installed trial software and have the Act. key ready and they will send you a licensed copy of the software, which is a pain in the @#$, takes weeks to get the disk, and the key will be from Microsft live.

Good luck
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
how to, microsoft, office 2007 reinstall, product activation, reactivation

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!