Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Word2007 StyleRef, Content Contol, and Formatting problems - Refs return in <>'s!

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

12-Nov-2008, 04:20 PM #1
Unhappy Word2007 StyleRef, Content Contol, and Formatting problems - Refs return in <>'s!
This is probably an easy fix, but it requires a little explanation.

I want to make a content control with styled text in it, then reference that style to copy the text to appropriate places throughout the doc.

The problem is, whenever I make the style reference, little brackets (<>'s) appear surrounding the resulting text. I'm sure the brackets are from the tags that mark the beginning and end of the content control (colored yellow in attached picture), but nonetheless I can't get rid of them! Word always seems to include those tags in the formatting I apply to the text in the content control. It's driving me nuts!

Any ideas would be really appreciated. I could send you the actual doc if requested. Please help me!
Attached Thumbnails
Word2007 StyleRef, Content Contol, and Formatting problems - Refs return in <>'s!-problem.png  
Computer Specs
Member with 4,174 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
13-Nov-2008, 10:46 AM #2
Welcome to the forum

I would prefer that you zip and post the file instead of sending it, but you cannot post a file until you have 7 posts or so. If you send me a message, then I will reply so that I can post the document for others to see.

13-Nov-2008, 03:05 PM #3
To see the problem I'm having, just follow these steps:

1. Open Word 2007.
2. Create a new plain text content control. Enter "Test Phrase" as its value.
3. Select the entire content control by double-clicking on the little blue tag that appears on it's left side.
4. Apply the "Heading 1" style.
5. Go a few lines down and insert a Style Reference to Heading 1. (Insert->Quick Parts->Field...->StyleRef->Heading 1->OK.)

I need those brackets (<>'s) removed!!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,174 posts.

13-Nov-2008, 03:59 PM #4
OK I reread your first post. What are you trying to accomplish by doing it this way instead of just applying styles to the text?

13-Nov-2008, 04:11 PM #5
We're using Content Controls to automatically change the document's *properties* (Author, Title, Subject, Company, etc.).

We're using styles to automatically update text throughout the doc (with StyleRefs, I can make one change to change a client's name throughout the doc).

So some pieces of information can be considered both a document property AND text that needs updating through the doc (for instance, the client's name would need updating, and the Company document property would also need updaing).

Our idea was, then, to have one field be both a Content Control AND stylized text, so when we change that one field, both the document property AND the style references update automatically.

Do you have a better idea? This isn't set in stone yet, so suggestions are welcome!!!

And THANK YOU for helping me!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,174 posts.

13-Nov-2008, 04:27 PM #6
What about text and a cross-reference to reference that text throughout the document?

13-Nov-2008, 04:38 PM #7
I don't think I understand how cross-references work. It looks like I can only reference certain reference types, and my data isn't one of those reference types (it's not an equation, a figure, a header, etc.).

How can I made a cross-reference to simple text? Wouldn't my original method be easier?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,174 posts.

13-Nov-2008, 04:45 PM #8
Type your name and format it with the Heading 1 style. Go down further in the document and insert the cross-reference. Have it reference the text. Now whenever you update that original entries text the cross-referenced items will update as well. You will want to select heading as the cross-reference type.

13-Nov-2008, 04:53 PM #9
Hmmm.... Let me play around with this a bit. Thanks again for your help!!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,174 posts.

13-Nov-2008, 05:14 PM #10
Not a problem. Let me know if that works out for you. If not we can look at other avenues as well. It does seem to be what you are looking for sans remembering formatting from the initial entry. The formatting can be applied via a style though.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,174 posts.

14-Nov-2008, 01:16 PM #11
I cannot download attachments on the PC I am on. Did you try the heading style and cross-reference option that I told you about?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
2007, content controls, formatting, styleref, word

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!