Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Resolution setting in Outlook

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Dec-2008, 08:59 PM #1
Question Resolution setting in Outlook
I am using Windows XP and Outlook. When I startup my computer and open Outlook it opens with a screen resolution of 640x480 pixels and color quality is Low 8 bit. I can change it, but I have to change it everytime I open Outlook. How can I make the change be my permanent default? It's a pain changing it everytime I open Outlook.
Thanks so much for any help anyone has
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
27-Dec-2008, 09:00 PM #2
What is the screen resolution when you do not start Outlook???? Outlook has no resolutions settings on its' own
Computer Specs

27-Dec-2008, 10:32 PM #3
the screen resolution is 1024x768 and the color quality is highest 32 bit, but when I click on Outlook everything changes and the screen resolution goes to 640x480 and the color quality changes to Low 8 bit

28-Dec-2008, 11:11 AM #4
Weird . . Only thing I can suggest is to go thru the options in Outlook and look for somethng that might affet the resolution.
Computer Specs

28-Dec-2008, 04:58 PM #5
color quality in Outlook
I have tried every option in Outlook and none affect the color quality.
I have gone into the Control Panel-display-settings- and changed both the Computer screen resolution and the color quality. It changes, but then the color quality changes back to Low 8 bit. Also when I open my computer the opening screen has a screen resolution of 640x480, with a color quality of 32 bit, I change it, and after closing and reopening my computer it reverts back to the 640x480 resolution. What else can I do?
Thanks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

28-Dec-2008, 05:16 PM #6
You've got three other threads going on the same topic. You need to stick with just one.

I have a really hard time believing that the sole act of opening Outlook changes the screen resolution or other display settings. What happens if you open another program? Are you going through these steps systematically by first checking the display settings, only opening Outlook, and then again immediately checking display settings without performing any other operation or opening any other program? And this can't be duplicated with any other application including other Office programs, web browsers, Notepad, Paint, or other such program?
Computer Specs

28-Dec-2008, 06:35 PM #7
Resolution setting problem
I'll try and explain the problem better. When I start my computer it opens with a screen resolution of 1024x768, within a few seconds the screen blinks and the resolution goes to 640x480, the color quality stays at Highest 32 bit. It I leave everything alone and open Microsoft Outlook the screen resolution stays the same, however the color quality changes to Low 8 bit. Any other program I use thereafter will be at the color quality of Low 8 bit. When I close Outlook, the screen blinks and changes to a screen resolution of 1024x768 with the color quality changing to Highest 32 bit. It will stay that way no matter what program I use, except Outlook. However when I close down my computer and reopen it, the same process starts over, it opens at 1024x768, blinks changes to 640x480 with a color quality of Highest 32 bit, I must then go to properties, settings, and change it to 1024x768, Outlook will again open in 1024x768 with a color quality of Low 8 bit, I can change it, but it will revert back.
In properties, theme, does it make any difference whether I choose Windows XP or Windows XP modified? Doesn't seem to make any difference as far the the screen resolution and color quality go.
Thanks for your help

28-Dec-2008, 09:03 PM #8
Do you have one of those goofy third party theme programs loaded?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

28-Dec-2008, 09:35 PM #9
....And what happens if you don't open Outlook but open some other program instead? Like Word. Or Notepad. Or Internet Explorer.
Computer Specs

31-Dec-2008, 12:44 PM #10
Problem with Outlook
No, I have no funky programs on Themes, I wasn't sure if choosing Windows XP or Windows XP modified made a difference.
If I use any other program like Word, Notepad, etc they all open in the normal way, screen resolution 1024x768 with color quality of Highest 32 bit. It's only when I open Outlook that everything changes. That has only began to happen after I tried sending an e-mail in "Word". I got the following message:
"This error can occur if you try to send a Word document by using the Email ( Microsoft Office Button | Send command) command. If Word hangs, or you closed Word and a new message dialog does not appear, it is possible that Outlook did not receive the request to start a new message.
To avoid this issue, restart Word and attempt to send the attachment again, but wait for Outlook to respond prior to attempting another action.
You cannot close Microsoft Office Word until the Send Mail Command is finished. Switch to the New Message first, and either send or close the message" then everything changed with Outlook.
Appreciate your help
Computer Specs

04-Jan-2009, 01:14 PM #11
Problem with Outlook
I haven't received any suggestions to my problem last requested on 12/31/08 at 11:44 am. Is there anyone who can help me? Would re-installing Office 2007 solve the problem?
Would appreciate any help
Thanks
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,257 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jan-2009, 01:17 PM #12
Try scanning your PST file with "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\SCANPST.EXE".
You will need to tell the scanner where you PST file is.
Computer Specs

05-Jan-2009, 01:38 AM #13
Problem with Outlook
I appreciate your suggestions. When I enter what you suggested and I get to "1033" the following choices are "Mapisvc.inf" and MSMAP132.DLL"
"SCANPST.EXE" isn't an option, am I missing something?
Thanks
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,257 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jan-2009, 02:40 PM #14
Did you scroll down near the bottom of the list?
See attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Resolution setting in Outlook-scanpst.gif  
Computer Specs

05-Jan-2009, 05:13 PM #15
Problem with Outlook
Under folder MSMAPI I have folder "1033",to the right of folder "1033" under name I have "mapisvc.inf" and "MSMAP 132.DLL". All the way to the bottom there is no "Scanpst.exe. I don't have any of the files you have on the right. Below folder "1033" I have folders mui, ole DB, vbox,xing shared.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!