Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How do I fill out a PDF application form?

(!)

Member with 187 posts.

24-Feb-2009, 05:01 PM #1
Solved: How do I fill out a PDF application form?
I want to fill out an employment application, which is provided at the employer's web site in PDF form, which opens with Adobe. It feels like I should be able to type in the info. A cursor blinks on the line, but nothing happens when I try to type in the info. I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious.
I could print out the form then fill it in by hand, but like I say, it feels like I should be able to type it in for a much neater appearance.
Thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is online now Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,331 posts.

24-Feb-2009, 05:36 PM #2
Try opening it in ... http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php ... Then you can type on it.

See ... Annotation tool: Foxit Reader allows you to draw graphics, highlight text, type text and make notes on a PDF document and then print out or save the annotated document.
Member with 187 posts.

24-Feb-2009, 07:13 PM #3
No, I am very leery of installing Foxit Reader, just to do what I need to do. Some people have not been very happy with this software.
I strongly suspect that I can type on this employment application using only Adobe, if I just knew what to do. I would appreciate any other suggestions anyone might have.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is online now Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

24-Feb-2009, 07:24 PM #4
My state taxes do not allow typing on the pdf forms ... So I used Foxit.
Many wizards here at TSG recommend using Foxit instead of the bloated Adobe.
You can have both and use whatever you want.
It's free .. What are you afraid of ???

If you have Photoshop or Elements .. You can open a pdf and edit it as if it was a picture.

Just maybe it's editable .. but the editing rights have been turned off.
This takes the adobe acrobat to turn on the editing rights..
Member with 187 posts.

24-Feb-2009, 07:26 PM #5
spyware
Foxit has been associated with spyware.
Computer Specs

24-Feb-2009, 07:28 PM #6
Do you return the pdf application via the computer ... or send it back on paper ???
Mine didn't come with spyware.
Member with 187 posts.

24-Feb-2009, 07:36 PM #7
printed app
You print the application. When I checked out Foxit, they wanted to install a Toolbar, or the Typing tools would be unavailable. When I googled Foxit, I found a few complaints about spyware and the hijacking with the Foxit toolbar. But, thanks for the suggestion. I promise I'm not trying to be difficult.
Computer Specs

24-Feb-2009, 07:50 PM #8
Quote:
When I checked out Foxit, they wanted to install a Toolbar, or the Typing tools would be unavailable.
It does require a typing tool bar to do the typing ... not sure if this is the tool bar your taking about
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: How do I fill out a PDF application form?-clipboard.gif  
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,710 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Feb-2009, 08:52 PM #9
Foxit is absolutely not spyware. It's preferred by almost all of the techs here. When you install, just make sure to uncheck the toolbar options.

That said, a word to the wise is to always be careful with what you're agreeing to when you install something.
Member with 860 posts.

Experience: eager to learn more
25-Feb-2009, 12:58 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisitor View Post
Foxit is absolutely not spyware.
I totally agree- Foxit is a great piece of software that has so many free features that others charge for. I use it to prepare documents for business meetings-- I particularly appreciate its ability to create and name bookmarks.

I also use PDF-XChange viewer- Each has features that make them indispensable. PDF-XChange viewer (free version) has the ability to do the same typing- but does not add a watermark when you save the resulting document to disk.
http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_...ls/pdfx_viewer

Like I said- I use both all the time and think they indispensable for anyone working with .pdf files. I am sure there are disgruntled Adobe enthusiasts who could be quoted as having different opinions (and even wild speculations)- but Foxit & PDF-XChange viewer are safe products in my quiver.

letchworth
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 869 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Feb-2009, 11:01 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Thumb View Post
I want to fill out an employment application, which is provided at the employer's web site in PDF form, which opens with Adobe. It feels like I should be able to type in the info. A cursor blinks on the line, but nothing happens when I try to type in the info. I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious.
I could print out the form then fill it in by hand, but like I say, it feels like I should be able to type it in for a much neater appearance.
Thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.
What adobe are you using Acrobat reader or Acrobat Profesional or Standard?
For you to fill in it electronically the file must be made as a form, but usually it's just a pdf file, which looks like a form to fill in, but don' have the field to type in.
Member with 187 posts.

25-Feb-2009, 02:27 PM #12
Thanks to all for taking the time to reassure me about Foxit. I finally downloaded it, without the toolbar as suggested, and was able to do what I needed to do. Thanks to everyone for your time and patience.
Member with 860 posts.

Experience: eager to learn more
25-Feb-2009, 02:34 PM #13
Thanks for letting us know- I appreciate it

letchworth
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!