Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Issues - Word 2007 - Sharing Styles & Style Sets

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

23-Mar-2009, 05:30 PM #1
Question Issues - Word 2007 - Sharing Styles & Style Sets
Hello!

I found a thread in here that was similiar to my problem, but the solution did not resolve my issue.

Issue:

I am trying to save a set of formatting styles as a custom style set and then share that with my team so that we all use the same heading, outline, spacing, etc... However, when sending my "style guide" to my team, the custom styles I created are visible in their style gallery, but when they apply the style set, the formatting reverts to Word 2007 standard formats.

Steps to create custom styles and a custom style set:
  1. Open a new word 2007 document
  2. Type in a word, change font to Calibri, size to 14, bold
  3. Highlight the word, right-click, choose Paragraph, choose some line spacing settings (anything as long as it is different than standard) and save
  4. Highlight word, right-click, click on styles, click on Save Selection As A New Quick Style
  5. Repeat this process for a few more styles if you want
  6. Click on Change Styles, Style Set, Save As Quick Style Set, name the style and save
Now after this, you have a new style set with your custom quick styles in the style gallery. To create the issue I am having, do the following:
  1. Go to a different computer
  2. open Word 2007 and a new document
  3. Type in a word
  4. Apply one of the styles or style sets
Result: The formatting for the word you typed will revert to formatting that you did not define in your quick styles.

Can anyone help me out? I find this functionality incredibly frustrating as it seems very simplistic but has been stumping me and several co-workers!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Apr-2009, 06:07 AM #2
ScottGF - Try this on your team's computers:
Go to the Microsoft Office button
Choose ‘Options’
Choose ‘Add-ins’ from the menu
Go to the bottom of the box where it says ‘Manage’ next to a text box. Click the down arrow in the text box and choose ‘Templates’ and choose ‘Go’
Two or three lines from the top of the next box it should say ‘Automatically update document styles’. If there is a check mark in that box, remove it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
formatting, quick styles, styles, word 2007

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!