Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't Open Word 2000 on XP Home

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Mar-2009, 04:10 PM #1
Question Can't Open Word 2000 on XP Home
Hi,

I have (or should I say had) Word 2000 running on XP without a hitch. Last week the programme would hang on start up, and not get past the flash page (WORD 2000 Start Screen thing).

I have looked closely on the web to find a solution, and have tried the following.

Tried to start the programme from the Run box, using 'winword.exe /a', and this opened the programme fine. I am told that this is probably due to a corrupt 'normal.dot' file. I deleted these, as I understand that word will create a new one for me, although it does mean that any saved settings will be lost. (not a problem). Tried to start the programme again in the normal way, and still it hangs.

Then tried to reload Word 2000 (from my Works Suite 2000 pack) and that didn't work. Since found out that I should uninstall Word 2000 before re-installing it, as this doesn't work. So, I My Computer/Add/remove Programmes, I have removed it. Now find out that this does not completely remove word, and the Microsoft have an eraser tool to help with this. Alas, it does not work with XP, (i am told). Now, I appear to have no normal.dot files, but still in my 'All Programmes' tab, I can see Microsoft Office and Microsoft Works, but can't make either of them work.

Does anybody know how I can completely uninstall Works Suite from my pc when I am running XP, so that I can reload the programme?

I am, to be honest, getting most frustrated by this problem!!!

Many thanks in advance to any one who replies. I hope I have explained the problem ok.

regards

Johnny
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Mar-2009, 06:15 PM #2
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Best of luck to you friend.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hanging on start up, word 2000

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!