Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Word 2007 Won't Recognize Printer

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,012 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jun-2009, 12:47 AM #1
Solved: Word 2007 Won't Recognize Printer
I have 2 printers hooked up to my Vista (64 bit) computer, the default being a Canon Pixma MP830 multipurpose and the little one is a Lexmark Z715 inkjet. Recently, Word 2007 will only recognize the Canon and refuses to print on the Lexmark. When I try to print a Word document and select the Lexmark, I get one of two errors. If I click on Properties, the error is: Word cannot bring up properties dialog because the printer returned an error. If I click on Print, the error is: Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup.

The detailed explanation for both errors is: This error can appear if a default printer has not been designated or if the application is unable to locate an existing default printer. To correct the problem, try one of the following in Microsoft Windows:
*If a printer is not available in the PRINT dialog box, add a printer. [Not the problem.]
*If the application cannot find an existing printer that is already installed [this is the problem], set the printer as the default printer. [Tried it -- got the same error!]
*If a default printer is installed but the application is unable to use it [this becomes the problem when I set the Lexmark as default], uninstall the printer driver, and then install the latest version of the printer driver. [I did this, and I already had the latest version.]

I am at a total loss to figure this out! There are times when the Canon is working on a long print job, and I need something quick on the Lexmark. It works fine for Publisher 2007, as well as for Notepad. In fact, when I was trying to make the printer work in Word and clicked on the Word Help window to review the details, I could print it on the Lexmark! That was probably a Windows file rather than a Word file, I guess.

Any ideas?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,012 posts.

05-Jun-2009, 08:13 PM #2
Bump.
I really could use some help here, guys!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,012 posts.

05-Jun-2009, 10:40 PM #3
After changing an ink cartridge today and printing an XL worksheet, I tried another Word doc. Surprise, surprise! Word now recognizes my Lexmark printer again. Oh well...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!