Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can multiple users edit the same document simultaneously?

(!)

Member with 74 posts.

20-Jun-2002, 06:54 PM #1
Can multiple users edit the same document simultaneously?
There is a document on a folder on the office intranet that needs to be updated constantly, at least several times a minute. Is it possible to put a Word document on the network and have multiple people edit and view it at the same time?

If it can't be done with MS Word, is there some other program that can do this? To clear things up, the program would have to be similar to a chat room where multiple people can post messages to the same room at the same time. And when I say edit the document, we need to add new info to it not delete from it.

The program that matches our demands seems to be something like a blogger, where people can post comments which are visible to everyone. However, the problem with a blogger is that it runs on the internet, which can be very slow at times. We need something that can reside on the intranet which is very speedy.
Senior Member with 3,953 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Jun-2002, 07:13 PM #2
At my former place of employment we had the same thing, with an excel and a word file.

To my knowledge, no. Neither of these programs will support what you are looking for. As I am sure you have seen, one person can edit, and others can have "view only", but if they make a change, it has to be saved as a different file (not very practical).

As a qualifier, I believe we were only using Word 97, this may have changed in later versions.

I am sorry, but I have no suggestions. We just suffered with it, as management wasnt interested in changing it (we used it, not them), and certainly didn't want us to spend money on "new" software.

Hopefully, someone else will be able to point you in a good direction.
Member with 74 posts.

20-Jun-2002, 07:49 PM #3
Thanks for the reply. At work we use Offce 97 as well, however, I installed my personal copy of Office 2000 on two computers just to see if it could work. No luck, it still wouldn't allow multiple people to edit the document at the same time.

For my company its not even a matter of spending money on new software, we just don't know of anything (other than a chat room) that is capable of this.

By the way when I say we its basically me (being the most experienced user) and several other non-tech savy collegues. We haven't officially approached our IT department for a solution so coding a new program isn't an option.
Member with 44 posts.

20-Jun-2002, 11:51 PM #4
Word won't do it unfortuntely. you can have multiple people adding to an access databse as long as they are working on different records, so if you could knock up some king of access db that did the job it coulds work w/o the company spending money but probably a pain in the but.

otherwise some kind of web based board stashed on your intranet server (or a workstatoin running web services) could be the go, but that will require IT's co-operation i would imagine. if there is a out of the box package you know off through it'd be a peice of piss to implement, and with only a few users would have low overheads (in theory).

Worth checking with your IT team if they have any colaborative solutions, may be able to use a Notes databse (if you use it) or something like that.

HTH

cheers,
jon
Member with 74 posts.

21-Jun-2002, 09:13 PM #5
Well, after some investigation I discovered a little program called intranet chat. This program fills the need completely.

The only thing is that since it is a chat program, it does lead to a decrease in productivity since people tend to get distracted. What would be perfect is an intranet message board. Anybody have any ideas on where I can get such a program.
Member with 44 posts.

23-Jun-2002, 08:29 PM #6
This may be the ticket!
had a quick look on google and found a site that may have a product that would suite. The page for their message board software is:
http://www.ymonda.co.uk/productdetai...tid=26&catid=3

It has a free version which sounds like it has enough fetures to fulfill your needs. I think it will require a machine to act as a server but a workstation would suffice. Best of all it's free, unless you want all the bells and whistles.

The google search i did is here, there looked to be some other candidates there as well.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...board+solution

HTH

cheers,
jon.
Member with 44 posts.

23-Jun-2002, 08:38 PM #7
This may be worth a look as well:
http://www.ymonda.co.uk/productdetai...ctid=6&catid=3

same people but looks simpler to set up, haven't played with either though so you never know!
Member with 74 posts.

25-Jun-2002, 08:22 PM #8
So far the simplest program I've tried is intranet chat. Its easy to install, and doesn't require any specialized hardware. Like I said before, this program isn't a perfect match for our needs but hey nothing beats free right?
Member with 382 posts.

26-Jun-2002, 01:26 PM #9
i know this has not much to do with your exact question, but I have a question.
My girlfriend used an access db at work, and the db was set to let multiple users access it at the same time, which is the default. Even though they would be in different records, they couldn't access the db at the same time.
Any ideas?
thanks
Member with 282 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jun-2002, 06:31 AM #10
Hi mrap - We have three Access databases at work on a server and accessed via internet over two geographical sites. User priviledges are set to default and we have no problem with multiple user access with ten members of staff. This worked with 97 and also with 2000 (since we migrated). The only known problem (IMHO) is if two users try to enter data in the same field at exactly the same time. However Access may not suit your situation.

stepheno
Member with 382 posts.

27-Jun-2002, 06:35 AM #11
well in the situation I was talking about, the 2 users were in entirely different records, however, it would not save the change....
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!